Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Pakse Airport

• mkelly139

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2006

i have a flight booked/reserved Thurs, 3 Dec from Pakse > Luang Progang. The airport at Pakse is closed for repairs and scheduled to reopen sometime in January, 2010. I have been told that passangers flying out of Pakse will be bussed instead to Savannakhet for their flight to LPQ. However, when checking on the Lao Air web site, I find no flight our of Savannakhet on Thurs, only M, W, F. Does anyone have any relyable information in regard to this situation; or are there other alternatives for transport Pakse > LPQ. (bus is 11+ hous, I believe.
    Thank you

#1 Posted: 7/10/2009 - 09:53

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Assuming LPQ is Luang Prabang , it's more than 11 hours, about twice as long. Eleven hours on the sleeper bus would get you to Vientiane, fresh and rested for an across town tuk tuk ride to the Northern Bus Station and then get on the next bus headed North, they go all day, and get off in Luang Prabang ten or so hours later even more refreshed and envigorated. With a little luck less than 24 hours.

#2 Posted: 7/10/2009 - 19:03

• hokasch

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2008

I read it as you got the information about the alternative route from Lao Airlines. Maybe these Savannakhet-LPB connections are no "official", bookable flights, not showing up on the wepbage since they are essentially the flights from Pakse? If unsure, you could enquire an updated, complete travel itinerary for your ticket from Lao Airlines.

#3 Posted: 7/10/2009 - 19:20

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Look at the Laos Airlines website domestic schedule again
    Pakse -LuangPrabang on 4=Thursday & 6=Saturday
    QV523 4 6 PKZ LPQ 1320 1510
    Since Pakse airport is closed (until Jan 26 they say) I would presume just substitute ZVK Savannakhet for PKZ. I know, clear as mud.
    Email them at zvk@laoairlines.com or go see an agent when you arrive in Laos - obviously you've got to be picked up somewhere in Pakse (airport?) for the short trip to Savannakhet.

#4 Posted: 26/10/2009 - 16:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Savankhet airport is pretty busy right now. Every day an aircraft if flying out of there (and over my house) and heading off to wherever (vientiane and Bangkok I'm told). A C-130 from the US Air Force flew out of there two weeks ago. I am still wondering why.

#5 Posted: 27/10/2009 - 23:30

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Does anyone know if the Pakse airport will be reopened anytime soon? And is it possible to fly direct from there to Hanoi?

Thanks

#6 Posted: 29/10/2009 - 10:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.