Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Nightlife in Laos

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

One of the things that prejudiced me against Laos from my first exposure was the lack of nightlife I found in Savanakhet. I'm a night guy - I don't like quiet, sleepy places. Mukdahan is New York city compared to Savankhet. But, as Somsai quite fairly points out, Savanakhet is not all of Laos. So, thinking about it, and just reading some other posts, I decided to ask the question - what cities in Laos, if you are interested in decent nightlife, are the places to be?

#1 Posted: 16/10/2009 - 18:51

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You appear to be flogging a dead horse. Wasn't there information posted on this a while ago when people refuted your brother in law's erroneous claims? Anyway, the answer is obvious.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 08:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

So why don't you give me the answer?

This subject never came up before to my knowledge. We've talked around it, but not directly to it.

#3 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 12:22

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Maybe you should define nightlife in your opinion.

To some it's probably a quiet dinner, to others it may involve bars, nightclubs/discos, parties etc.

#4 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 13:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I belong to the "others" category.

#5 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 13:57

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"So why don't you give me the answer?"

Because you have had the answer before.
    Vientiane has a number of bars and discos. There is also the odd concert, eg a string trio played Beethoven this week. These concerts are very infrequent, though. Vang Vieng has a lot of bars. Luang Prabang is a bit quieter, but there are certainly watering holes and the odd disco to find.

#6 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 15:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

How about Paxse?

Where I live there are a lot of bands, including one I would describe as "Isaan folk" that is EXCELLENT.The band leader owns the bar - so they play there daily. Anything like that you can recommend in Vientiane when I go there as I know Carol doesn't get out much.

#7 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 16:02

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

When you going Mac?

#8 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 16:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Don't know just yet - sometime in the spring of next year. I promised my cousin I'd come out and see her place. If I can cross the Mekong on my bike, then I'll ride up the river on the Laos side and back down on the Thai side.

#9 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 16:21

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Maybe your cousin Carol could ask around amongst her freinds for you Mac, she's a local. Just tell her you're looking for hot women and cold beer but the web site Pattya Secrets has no info.

#10 Posted: 17/10/2009 - 19:26

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Secrets was definitely thin... Laos doesn't attract the monger crowd much. Already asked there.

I'll be surprised if Carol knows much or has friends who do. But I'll ask her. A good band would be a start.

#11 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 01:41

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I found Pakse to be pretty quiet. There are a few areas that get a lot more activity than the rest of the city, but even these are quiet in comparison to almost any mid-size Thai town.

There is a stretch of riverside bars/restaurants that get lots of people in for dinner and drinks, but later in the evening they seem to empty out. This often corresponds with the places running out of food.

The backpacker area can be busy later into the evening, but certainly would not fall under the definition of nightlife as it's being used here.

The most Laotian nightlife I witnessed in Pakse was a group of middle aged men drunk out of their gourds falling all over a table of younger couples trying to enjoy a leg of freshly killed muntjac at around 10:00 pm. Good times ...

#12 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 22:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Pakse and Champusak sound like they're off the list. The more I hear, the more it sounds like Vientiane and VV.

#13 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 22:30

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Pakse has at least one or two "nightclubs" near the riverside. One is called Lotty or somesuch. It was mostly karaoke sung from the tables until 10 PM or so, but after that there was usually 30-90 mins of music and dancing until the place closed :). Mixed young and middle-aged Laotian crowd who were amused to see men dancing. Didn't see any other foreigners there, but then it was low season.

#14 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 04:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos nightlife and Laos women ... By jmdma808 on 16 Jun 2009 7 40842 18 Jun 2009