Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Rice Planting

• pihapair

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

Hi ,
    My question is,when does rice planting start or in other words when will we see greening up of the countryside?
    Im gueesing April but not sure.
    Ta Kev

#1 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 13:56

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Right now is the greening of the countryside. It's very green and has been for about two months. My father in law is about to harvest.

#2 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 15:40

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

You posed the question on the Lao section so I'll answer for the same, I've no idea about where Mac lives in Tland.

There are two basic rice seasons and two types of rice growing methods and also farmers will vary the planting times of all to ensure highest chance of good yields.

There is "wet" rice grown with iirrigation, the paddies you are used to seeing in photos, and mountain rice, grown on the hillsides. People grow two crops of "wet" rice if they have the water and the inclination, often fertilizer is used for the second crop. That second crop is the one that will be begun now in seeding beds protected perhaps by netting or tiny fences, and then transplanted later by hand to a flooded paddy. So yes, you'll see beautiful green mature rice in April. You'll also see the fields that haven't been planted in a second crop dry and with stubble.

I haven't even talked about it but there is that other method, dry rice fields that rely solely on the rain. They are grown on hillsides or any other area away from a water source. The fields are often allowed to lie fallow for years at a time for nutrients to accumulate again then the fields are burnt in late winter or early hot season in preparation for planting when the rains come. Dry land rice usually has the very highest yields per hectare but you need a lot of land so you can allow it to rest during the off years.

Some very lucky countries have 3 crops per year. Indonesia I've heard.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 19:28

• pihapair

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

Thanks
    Brilliant advice. Planning our trip now April - May and would like to see a little greenery
    Cheers
    Kev

#4 Posted: 21/10/2009 - 03:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.