Flag of Laos

Laos forum

From Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang in 8 days - What to see?

• Pontare

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009

Hi,
    we're a couple going from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang . We have 8 days from we arrive in Chiang Rai before the plane leaves from Luang Prabang. Is there any places on the route that are especially nice? We're trying to steer clear of the most tourist adapted places, like Vang Vieng and to a certain degree Luang Prabang seems to be. We would especially like to go trekking for a few days. For what it's worth, I speak basic Thai, so we will hopefully be able to get around without being to dependent on locals speaking English.

#1 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 20:58

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Chiang Rai has some pretty decent gogo bars you might check out... The Karaoke places in Nong Khai are OK, so I've heard. Your Thai would be very useful there.

#2 Posted: 30/10/2009 - 23:10

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Seeing as Chang Rai is closest to the Huay Xai border crossing I'd assume you'd be crossing there.

I'd suggest taking a fast boat upriver from Huay Xai to Xiengkok. By doing so you will have left about 99% of the rest of us tourists behind. You'll get your river fix in but it only takes a couple to four hours depending on how much you take the little public transport trucks instead of the boat. Ultimately you'll have to take the boat part of the way.

From Xiengkok it's an hour up to Muang Long. I pointed someone else there lately and he seemed to enjoy it. There are a few guest houses but mostly you are the only foreigner when you are in town. Tui the guy at the tourism office has any number of treks worked out but not many people make it up there these days. Nice rivers, pretty Tai Lu and Akha villages, you'd have the whole place to yourselves.

Further up the road is Muang Sing which feels like civilization in comparison and over the pass is Muang Long, then Udomxai (Oudomsai?) Luang Prabang etc.

Your Thai abilities will stand you in good stead. There are a lot of similarities between Tai Lu, Lao, and Thai. Certainly in Huay Xai and Xiengkok most people are fluent in Thai. Further from the river going very slowly with your words helps, many people might need to translate from Thai to Lao to Lu in thier heads then back again to answer you.

Another possiblity is to go down the river to Pakbeng then up to Udomxai taking a few days to do it and exploring. I took the bus and the towns looked interesting. I remember on fairly large town.

For trekking you need a guide. Just in case that's what you were considering with your Thai language. Most upland peoples speak no Lao and very little if any Lu. It's also the center of opium production with police around and all kinds of things. Best to have a guide.

Muang Long

#3 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 03:47

• Pontare

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009

Great post somsai, thanks! Anyone else who has any experience with the places somsai is mentioning?

#4 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 20:01

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

like somsai says, chiang rai to huay xai is the natural choice for crossing into laos. somsai gave some pretty interesting ideas on how to spend those eight days. be sure to give yourself enough time in luang prabang itself, however. there is heaps to see and do there. cheers.

#5 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 21:51

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

just to add on to #3:
    +From Xiengkok it's an hour up to Muang Long . I pointed someone else there lately and he seemed to enjoy it.+

Muang Long trip report by that 'someone'.

+Further up the road is Muang Sing which feels like civilization in comparison and over the pass is Muang Long, then Udomxai (Oudomsai?) Luang Prabang etc.+

think somsai meant Luang Namtha rather than Muang Long here.

+Another possiblity is to go down the river to Pakbeng then up to Udomxai taking a few days to do it and exploring. I took the bus and the towns looked interesting. I remember on fairly large town.+

two main towns are Muang Beng & Muang Houn. most tourists i've met who've been to this area are cyclists. one guy from a village there set up www.samlaancycling.com in Oudomxay town & does tours to that area + other parts of the province. more on Oudomxay: http://oudomxay.info/

#6 Posted: 31/10/2009 - 23:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I guess that means the Karaoke is out!

#7 Posted: 1/11/2009 - 11:05

• gugli

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2009

Hello,
    I have about the same plan, maybe dwo days more as Pontare (#1).
    I but I planned to drive through Luang Nam Tha to Muang Sing and spend around three days there doing treks. You think its better to take the boat ride to Muang Long? How safe is it to take fast boats? In LP I read that it is dangerous in dry season (I will arrive to Laso 16/11). I will be travelling allone with no local laguage skills, so I do not know if it's a good idea to go to totaly nonturistic areas (mentioned Muang Long)

Than I plan to go to Muang Ngoi or Nong Khiaw and spend like two days there and than down the river to Luang Prabang for 2-3 days. But again, some bad story about robbery in Muang Ngoi...?

Do I need to take Malarone as prevention in these days in that area?

thank you very much for the answer

#8 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 23:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9592 19 Aug 2011
Hanoi --> Vientane --> Luang Prabang --> Chiang Rai --> Chiang Mai ... By sophierose87 on 11 Jun 2010 2 4767 18 Jun 2010
Chiang Mai>Chiang Rai>Luang Prabang>Vientiene ... By mukapecah8 on 2 Sep 2009 9 9404 4 Sep 2009
fly from chiang mia to luang prabang or LP to BKK ... By lorna123 on 9 Nov 2010 3 1704 30 Dec 2010
Chiang Mai ---> Luang Prabang ... By walkingtrees on 8 Jul 2010 4 2297 13 Jul 2010
Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai ... By hmuscente1 on 28 May 2010 11 6648 20 May 2014
luang prabang from chiang mai ... By rhess106 on 16 Nov 2008 3 3018 17 Nov 2008
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang ... By Nokka on 19 Jul 2009 3 3871 20 Jul 2009
Getting from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai ... By Echo10 on 22 Jan 2010 0 3021 22 Jan 2010
From Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang by bus ... By Banana17 on 24 Nov 2011 11 2948 6 Jan 2012