Laos forum

Don Khone / Det electricity yet?

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Back in Feb I watched folks haul huge concrete posts from tiny boats, to be used to provide constant electricity to both Khone and Det ... anyone know if this is up and running yet?

What have been the changes since Feb if not?

Thanks

Chris

#1 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 05:23

• Advertisement

• the_tundram-
    an

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2008

Hello!

Stayed at Don Khon. Electricity is up and running, people play ancient lao music every evening, and insects kill each other in jealous rage over a lightbulb. Some local huts have television and a fridge!!! (WE DIDN'T!!!).

The next step for the 4000 islands is discovering that a toilet seat comes in two parts, and not just one. And in case you're wondering which part was missing............=D............

#2 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 20:48

• chrispyrolls

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

sounds good... not the toilet part!

I'd be interested to see what changes happen there now they have mains power... big hotels maybe? Could lose that island charm don't you think?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 00:57

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

What a shame! I liked it the way it was! Generators turned off at 9 or 10, no fans at night! Still I think you call 24 hour electric progress - don't you????

#4 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 04:24

• mikethediver

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand

What a shame! I liked it the way it was! Generators turned off at 9 or 10, no fans at night! Still I think you call 24 hour electric progress - don't you????

#5 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 04:25

• mikethediver

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand

#6 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 04:25

• chrispyrolls

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

I agree Mike, the sounds of the night and the light of the stars were amazing.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 05:32

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

24 hour electricity doesn't necessarily ruin peaceful island charm - travellers and greedy property developers do that. Take a look at Don Khong, the "big island". They've had 24hr spark for years and it's still a really peaceful island with no parties or loud music or fcking TV shows every night. Hopefully it will stay that way even if throngs of packbackers bypass it for more "cool" Don Det and its newfound novelty of really cold beer and tv reruns =)

#8 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 12:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"What a shame! I liked it the way it was! Generators turned off at 9 or 10, no fans at night! Still I think you call 24 hour electric progress - don't you????"

My wife's village did not have electricity thirty years ago, nor did it have paved roads or running water. Nobody owned a motorbike (which are everywhere now) Topday all four are present in abundance. I asked my in-laws and some of the local people who were old enough to remember whether the village was better off now, or a better place to live before. They looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my forhead. Obviously it was better today. My wife said "That's a stupid question."

Yes, for the people living there, it's progress and mostly welcome. Sure, you get the occassional reactionary who would call life forty years ago (in the midst of the war with Vietnam) "the good ol days". But anyone with an ounce of sense knows better.

Would you rather have nothing to watch except the amazing stars every night, or be able to listen to your stereo, surf your internet, watch TV... would you rather have a modern clinic to send your sick kid, or a witch doctor?

The people living in these places are not exotic animals to be experienced. They are human like me and you. And like me and you, they want the quality of life better for their children and themselves. It's kind of normal.

#9 Posted: 30/1/2010 - 11:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.