Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Info on backroad from Mahaxai to Sepone?

• clairebike

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2009

We're currently bike touring Laos and would like to try the backroad from Mahaxai(Mahasay) to Sepone (Xepong). What are the road conditions for a bicycle? Any food or services available or homestays?
    Claire
    NewBohemians.net

#1 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 12:50

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You should be able to go Northeast and then east until you hit Ban Sa-ang. Then there should be a road going south to Tschepone (or Xepong). This was part of the old Ho Chi Minh trail, and a friend of mine road it and said it was passable. Somsai would probably know best though. I've never personally been out there.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 18:13

• clairebike

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2009

Thanks so much. Would Somsai know if the road is very rough, corrugated, deep dust or something else difficult? What is the availability of water and accommodation over two or three days? We expect the road is unpaved and that we may have to ask for a home stay somewhere.
    Thanks again, we'll keep posts at our blog as to whether we make it or not. NewBohemians.net

#3 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 18:34

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Sorry, I'm sure I've never been anywhere around there, (I'm not so great at remembering roads anyway) I'd suggest doing a thorough reading of the Lao section of the GT Rider web site, and also posting your querry on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 18:38

• clairebike

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks, we made it, though not the way we'd intended. We missed a turn at Naphao and ended up spending the night in Pakoay. The next day was pretty horendous with pushing the bike 25k through bogs, pastures, paddies and jungle, complete with clinging vines and clouds of mosquitoes. We thought we were lost several times and there was no one to ask the way. We were very glad to finally see a village again. Just sorry we can't tell others whether it is doable or not. Would not recommend attempting the route we did. More at NewBohemians.net.

#5 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 09:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Glad you made it alive

#6 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 11:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.