Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Money in Southern Laos

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Does anyone have any information regarding where you can cash travelers cheques, where there is an ATM etc in the main towns in Southern Laos?

I could always exchange a good wad of KIP in Vientiane if necessary

Thanks again

#1 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 17:20

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

hi Christay

There are no ATM's on Don Det or Don Khone - there are some places that will arrange to take you to the nearest one, which i think in is Ban Nakasang but am not sure of that ... this link may be of use http://www.bcellaos.com/atm_locator.php

I wouldn't count on the ATM workin tho - altho in the banks you should be able to change cheques ok

Just fill up on Kip and hit the road .... happy days

#2 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 18:09

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

for BCEL - branch & ATM locations: http://www.bcellaos.com

from your other post, sounds like you'll be in Thailand before heading to southern Laos? if so, could stock up on 1000 baht notes & change as you need while in Laos, rather than stock up on kip. easier to carry 1 X 1000 baht note than the equivalent 8 X 50,000kip notes.

#3 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 18:15

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

i am reluctant to carry Baht around purely because it means i have changed Pound into US travelers Cheque into Baht into Kip! UK>US>KIP is bad enough!

i tend not to use ATM's - i have only used one once in 9 and half weeks - because my bank charges loads and i have lots of TC's left over from China. I am more interesting in cashing Travelers cheques first off and ATMs as a last resort! i might see if i can have a browse in an Lonely planet and see what that says...

it won't be the end of the world if i have to load up on Baht

#4 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 09:41

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

that link in #3 also allows you to locate BCEL bank branches in various provinces, where you can cash TCs. go to that site & mouse over 'Contact Us' & select province to see addresses + photos of branch offices.

#5 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 09:51

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

In some ways your Tchecks are even easier than ATMs in that they can dependably be cashed at any BCEL even the little teeny branches in obscure provinces and they can be changed during business hours even if the phone or electric is down. I think every province has a BCEL.

#6 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 13:39

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

maybe no BCEL in Sekong & Salavan for southern Laos but there's Lao Development Bank: http://www.ldb.org.la/english/sa%20ka%20pak%20t.php

#7 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 16:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.