Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Elephants experience in Laos

• gugli

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2009

Hi,
    I would like to ask if you have any experience with elephants rides in Laos? I have read a nice article here on Travelfish but this Tiger Trail company is quite expensive...? I am looking of a half to one day experience(and I would prefer to sit right on the elephant rather than on this seat they put on them...)
    thx

#1 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 17:15

• Advertisement

• MyLaoHome

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2009
    Location Laos

Hi there,

You can try approaching this company called elephant village.

They are the original ones in Luang Prabang. It was started by a German named Mr Markus.

a half day package comes with an hour ride, vegetarian buffet lunch, and a trip to tad sae waterfall. $30 - $35

a full day package comes with learning how to ride the elephant and showering for them as well. $60 - $65

Not sure about the pricing though. Haven't been updating myself for about 3 - 4 months with them already.

Hope this helps.

Oh here's their website:
    www.elephantvillage-laos.com

#2 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 15:25

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Hi - I emailed this company regarding booking a day trip with them on Christmas Day and got a lovely email back from Michael (I think he's the owner) advising that he would reserve two places for me without a deposit (I only have to pay as soon as we get to Luang Prabang).

The cost for the one day Mahout tour is US$66 which I guess some people might think is a bit high. However, all the money goes into the care of the elephants (all of whom have been rescued from the logging industry) and many of these animals have disabilities and injuries which need constant treating. For me, this is going to be one of the highlights of my trip and I'd pay ten times that amount for the trip of lifetime especially given the good work they are doing for the elephants.

Hope this helps a bit.....

#3 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 14:34

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

BTW I was a tad disappointed to see that the latest edition of the Lonely Planet dedicates roughly one sentence to the Elephant Village which surely must be a real highlight of Luang Prabang. In fact, I only really came across this place by googling "elephants" and "laos" and I was glad I did.

#4 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 14:38

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Hi gugli,
    In the beginning ov January I spent 2d/1n at "Mahout Loudge":
    http://www.mahoutlodge.com/
    Good service, reasonable price, funny experience :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MM6eqxcrwg

#5 Posted: 27/11/2009 - 18:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.