Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Comments to my route: Luang Prabang, Pakse and Ko Maak

• nadineurban

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2009

Hello!

I am planning my holidays and would be greateful for comments. I am not sure if I am too ambitious...

I am flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang . I want to do trips from Luang Prabang for a week, then fly to Attapeu and do trips around Pakse for a week.

The final week/days I want to spend at the beach and relax. After reading a lot about Cambodia I think I would prefer a less touristy beach in Thailand. I found Ko Maak which sounds amazing. From Ko Maak I will have to get back to Bangkok.

My questions are:

Is my route to ambitious for three weeks?

What are the options to get from South Laos to Ko Maak?

Do you have tips for Ko Maak (what hotel, insland hopping tour, etc)?

Thank you very much in advance!

#1 Posted: 15/11/2009 - 19:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

There is no airport at Attapeu , so you'll need to fly into Pakse (now that the airport is open again) and then get the bus to Attapeu, but to be honest, given your time constraints, I'd skip Attapeu and just do some trips around Pakse for the week.

For southern Laos to Ko Maak , easiest will be bus into Thailand to probably Nakhon Ratchasima and then change for southbound bus to Chanthaburi / Trat and then boat to Ko Maak. At best you'll need to overnight in Trat.

See the coverage on Ko Maak for tips on stuff to do etc.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 16/11/2009 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang > Pakse ... By emma066 on 10 Jan 2010 8 9758 11 Jan 2010
Luang Prabang to Pakse to Don Kohn -> in one day? ... By cdwy0142 on 28 Nov 2010 2 2763 29 Nov 2010
Alternative option for Luang Prabang - Pakse trip ... By jennyk80 on 21 Jan 2012 2 1286 21 Jan 2012
Luang Prabang to Hanoi by bus - tough route but full of adventure ... By peachbanana on 27 Aug 2008 8 31844 23 Sep 2009
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9257 19 Aug 2011