Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Current conditions and tips for the SaPa to Laung Prabang road/river trip

• marcusfrank

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

I am considering going from SaPa to Luang Prabang through Dien Bien/ Muang Khua on late december and then down the river to LP. Can someone help with updated information on the following:
    1)Sapa to Dien Bien:heard there is constrcution going on and very bad to go through(early 2009), is the road ok? If not going by bus, what could be a reasonable fare by car/taxi?
    2)Dien Bien to Muang Khua: Is the bus leaving daily?
    3) Muang Khua to Nong Kiao by river: Is there any regular service or only charter? If I get stuck, how much is the total charter of boat to Nong Khiao? How much time does it take?
    4) Finally, what is the best place to stop for a day and hike? Muang Noi or Nong Khiao?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 06:11

• Advertisement

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Hi marcusfrank. The following thread gives quite detailed info on Sapa-LP.

I remembered it because I wanted info from LP to Hanoi.

Hope this helps.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/6098_from-hanoi-to-luang-prabang

#2 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 14:08

• marcusfrank

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Thanks! seems from that thread there is overwhelming suppport for not doing it by land and flying instead!

#3 Posted: 2/12/2009 - 07:02

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Yeah I know, but we are determined to do it overland ;) We've allowed three days but hopefully it'll take less. God knows what state we'll be in by the time we get to Hanoi!!

#4 Posted: 2/12/2009 - 09:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've a friend who does this trip regularly (about once a month) -- he said the road is a shocker and the drivers even worse. Said on one trip he jumped out ready to leap out the door because he was sure it was going to careen off a cliff!

On the upside, he said very very scenic trip.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 07:56

• SEQfunbod

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

My Dad wrote a lot of the stuff at http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/6098_from-hanoi-to-luang-prabang and also about the road conditions at http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6105_road-disaster---dbp---surrounds.

I'm heading that way soon and I'm going in the direction my Dad went.

We were talking about the trip and he said that the alternative from sapap to dean bien phu is good, but you have to make sure the bus driver is doing that route.

But don't do it all in a rush is his motto, try and take a lot of time and enjoy things is what he tells me.

#6 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 08:12

• saso

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009

hello,

i traveled this route (sapa - luang prabang) about 2 weeks ago.

the situation is like this:

- the minibus sapa - dien bien phu goes every day abound 7.30am from the bus station in sapa. the ticket ptice is 170000 dong if you buy the ticket directly at the station or 200000 in the guesthouses (includes pickup from the guesthouse). you arrive to dien bien phu at around 6pm. the road is VERY bad, there are construction sites everywhere, etc.

- the bus from dien bien phu to muang khoua (laos) SHOULD go every day at 5.30am from the bus station. why SHOULD: it is written on the time table that the departure is every day, but when we came and wanted to take the bus the bus just wasn't going on that day (long story...). we then ended up taking a taxi to the border and then hitchhiking from the border to laos (not a very good idea, really difficult to find a ride). so you have to be a bit lucky i guess. if you take the bus - the bus should arrive to muang khoua around 5pm.

- from muang khoua we went to muang ngoi with a boat that goes every morning and costs 100000 kip (cca. $12). btw - the popular guidebooks quote the price for the boat trip at $5, the price now is $12! i think the bus from muang khoua to luang prabang takes around 10 hours (not sure about that).

so it's a long long way, about 3 days in total! do it if you have time - the scenery is amazing, it's an adventure. for us it was really tiring but we experienced so much things we'll never forget (hitchhiking at the border, stopping in some villages on the way, meeting cool people, etc.) - so for us it was well worth the hassle :)

#7 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 18:24

• marcusfrank

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Saso

Many thanks for this updated description! Seems it is a bit of struggle after all and I had already plenty of adventure in the old days. Seems more reasonable to fly in to LP and then take the van to Nong Kiao and experience at elast the tail end of the adventure.

cheers

#8 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 20:56

• saso

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009

no problem.

i can really recommend you the boat ride on the river - north of nong khiaw (around muang ngoi neua). that part of the river is really scenic, lots of karst formations, hills, etc. definitely worth seeing!

#9 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 21:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
NW Vietnam - Current Road Conditions? ... By koparsons on 26 Aug 2008 0 1816 26 Aug 2008
Road conditions DBP to sapa ... By zipi on 15 Sep 2009 1 1655 16 Sep 2009
Current Conditions - Koh Tao ... By ayesha on 31 Mar 2011 12 2849 5 Apr 2011
Road trip from Hanoi - Sapa; advice needed! ... By guyedwin on 20 Feb 2009 -1 2896 11 Mar 2009
August Rt. 13 road conditions ... By walkingtrees on 30 Jul 2010 2 2026 1 Aug 2010
Highway 6 road conditions ... By sdevlin on 28 Mar 2009 2 2029 29 Mar 2009
Road Conditions: Phnom Penh to Kratie? ... By dibrarian on 1 Nov 2013 4 782 3 Nov 2013
Direct bus from Hanoi to Vientiane : Road conditions? ... By Stellathediver on 11 Jun 2014 0 236 11 Jun 2014
poipet-siem reap current condition of road? ... By trippymctwist on 2 Jul 2007 4 2067 9 Jul 2007
Trip from Luang Prabang to Sapa to Hanoi ... By mlr on 13 Nov 2009 2 8781 13 Dec 2009