Flag of Laos

Laos forum

help please on Luang Prabang accom

• SEQfunbod

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

Can someone help. I'm going to be in Luang Prabang around 1 jan. But, the date is a bit flexible (ie give or take a few days).

I'm reading that its high season. I don't want to book becoz I want to be flexible. but! Should I book, or is it OK to rock up and get an OK room?

#1 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 08:15

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

SEQ I want you to take this for what it's worth, total third hand rumor. I was reading on another forum that there is a bit of a lack of foreign tourists up in Luang Prabang right now and kind of a price war amongst Guest houses.

The first of January is right around the very top of the high season but if I were arriving early in the afternoon and were flexible about my room I'd feel ok.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 10:29

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Somsai, I am not saying you are wrong, but I had friends visit me and they were in LP last week. They said the place was full of tourists.

#3 Posted: 3/12/2009 - 18:02

• Precious24

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2009

Rufus don't forget it's Southeast Asia, there maybe heaps of tourists but you can still find one unless you have preference which hotel you want to stay.

#4 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 11:40

• robmacca

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2009

We were in Luang Prabang end of October and yes there were tourists but no it wasn't hard to find accommodation. We travelled through Northern Thailand and did the slow boat to LP. The general consensus, as told to us by an English resident of Chiang Mai who is a tourist policeman, is that tourism numbers are down around 1 million on last year. Don't know if that applies to Laos but certainly wherever we went - aside from the slow boat trip - the place was as quiet as the proverbial grave.

#5 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 21:47

• saso

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2009

yes, luang prabang is full of tourists but it's full of guest houses and hotels too. i think it shouldn't be a problem to find accommodation. we were there cca. 2 weeks ago without any booking and all the places that we asked had rooms available. at the end we stayed in a guest house on the other side of the hill (near to dala market) for 60000 kip or. cca. 7 USD / night. we had a double room, clean, with bathroom, a/c, etc.

#6 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 22:31

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Yes there are heaps of places to stay. I stayed at Xieng Mouane Guest House in July this year and it was fine.

#7 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 05:23

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Saphir and Sasso, both of you are ignoring the OP's vsit dates. Sure, there was plenty of accommodation available when YOU were there. The OP is there in peak season.
    Furthermore Precious, "Rufus don't forget it's Southeast Asia", it is a bit hard for me to forget that it is SEA when I live there.

#8 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 07:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

so far on this trip things have been pretty quiet in lop buri, phitsanulok, and even sukhothai. because of that, normally i'd just rock up and get a room in LP or anywhere else for that matter.

but Rufus is right that around the new year holiday, rooms will be a bit more difficult to find. you'll be competing not only with all of the western tourists out there, but also with locals and thais who want to grab a bit of fun for the new year holiday too.

if the OP can arrive in LP a few days prior to the NYE weekend, then he'll probably be okay finding a place. but if not, then i'd definitely try to book ahead. that goes for transportation too. best to get where you are going a few days before the big holidays like international new years and thai songkran/pii mai lao, since transport, as well as accommodation, will be completely booked. cheers.

#9 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 09:35

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'd say "might be comletely booked".

None of us know for sure as we can't fortell the future right?

I had the worst time I've ever had finding a room in Luang Prabang the day before new years. Of course I eventually did find something.

The deputy head of tourism in Luang Prabang reports arrivals down http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=98894&p=3&topicID=32527777 and Saso's post at #6 has prices about a third of what I'd expect. Sounds like a good time to go to Luang Prabang.

I think WSC should be there soon or is there now.

Rufus at #4 I hear ya, if that place had one twentieth the tourists it would still be overflowing. Shut down the airport for a couple of years is about all that would thin the ranks.

#10 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 09:47

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9547 19 Aug 2011