Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Lao Pdr solo tour

• unid

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009

Hello,
    I am planning a cycling trip to Lao PDR leaving late January for 8 weeks. My idea so far is that i will land at Bangkok and take the train to Nong Khai
    then cycle-tour clockwise around Laos. crossing the border into Cambodia for the obligatory Angkor wat trip, ending with a 4-5 days relaxing on a beach somewhere in Thailand before making my way back to Bangkok.
    I am estimating that 8 weeks will be enough time to do this.
    My budget will be £1500 exc flights.
    I am hoping that is enough for accommodation, visas and train travel.
    I am planning to travel at a leisurely pace around 50 miles a day with plenty of stops when i make discoveries.
    I am not interested in the vang vieng kind of scene. more looking for a solace, silence and nature focused journey.
    Any thoughts welcomed.

#1 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 19:08

• Advertisement

• unid

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009

Hi thanks for looking,

Just to add a little more detail
    Once i got onto the bike my rough idea is that my route will be Vientiane - xanakhan - Pak lay - Phiang - Luang Prabang - touring golden triangle - Luang Namtha - Phongsali region - Vieng thong - Phonsavan - Then heading south for the emerald triangle (have yet to see a detailed road/trackmap so this is all fairly sketchy.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 20:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

For me personally food would be an issue on such a route. I would pack some food stuffs with you just in case you're in the sticks and find the food not up to snuff.

#3 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 12:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.