Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Sending packages to Laos

Posted by allskillbill on 15/12/2009 at 03:13

I'd like to send some items to a family member in Laos and was wondering if this is going to be to costly. We were planning to ship some items home from Laos but decided to check in with luggage after learning it was going to cost $150 for 6.2kg. If anyone has experience with shipping items to Laos, can you please share any advice for dependability and so I don't brake the bank. Thanks!

#1 allskillbill has been a member since 15/12/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by somsai on 15/12/2009 at 07:08

My packages have always gotten there but have always had to pay a "fee" at the other end.

Cost is outrageous. I think I sent 2 kilos for $35 recently, by boat of course. If you have another family member going you should max out the baggage allowance. Originating or terminating in the US has much higher baggage allowance as long as items are checked through.

I'm sure you know but I'll say anyway. I'd be extremely carefull carrying anything out of Laos for freinds of family.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 567

Posted by jamesdueeast on 20/2/2013 at 23:34

I want my sister to send me my mobile phone from her home in the U.S. I know I can buy a cheap phone in Laos but I want this specific one. Is is possible to send to Laos from USA using USPS? Is it expensive (for example, in comparison to sending to China from the USA), are there extra "fees" incurred, silly import duties (even on used products)? And how reliable is it in successfully receiving it? Are some places in Laos more reliable than others? Cheers.

#3 jamesdueeast has been a member since 18/2/2013. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.