Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Need advise from Hanoi to Laos

• theCATALYST

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009
    Location Philippines

Posted from within Vietnam.

I need your quick advise on what's the most comfortable way to travel from Hanoi to Vientiane? Is there a train or bus? How much is the fare? I'm heading there Dec. 22.
    Can you recommend a 15USD hotel per night in Vientiane?

#1 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 13:45

• Advertisement

• rinske

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

hey, we did that trip yesterday. we booked the 24 hour sleeper bus through the drift backpackers (google it, i don't have the addy). it was 600 000 dong. the bus was overbooked and some people didn't get on, but that was the bus company, not the hostel. we left at 9pm and got to vientiane at 4. advice for the border crossing : stick $1 or 20 000 dong in your passport and put it on the counter to get your vietnam stamp. also have at least $50US for your loas visa if you don't have it. we payed in dong and ended up paying $60 for ours. brutal exchange rate. as for accommodation.. it all fills up early apparently, so take what you can get that night and look for something better the next day around 10am when ppl check out. hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 28/12/2009 - 21:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for that report rinske -- two questions, do you mean you arrived at Vientiane at 4am or 4pm the following day? and do you know which border crossing you crossed at?

Cheers

#3 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 14:57

• theCATALYST

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009
    Location Philippines

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks!This will help me a lot. I did postponed my trip to Laos until the end of January. I am planning to take the Hanoi via Hue to Xa Va Nhaket border crossing. Is that the route you're referring too?

#4 Posted: 1/1/2010 - 10:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.