Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Two weeks in SE Asia

• ponarv

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2009

Hello, my wife and I have two weeks off and would like to travel in two of the following countries...Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia. I know each destination has different things to offer, but given our time constraints, I'm wondering which two would be the best. For example, I have heard it generally takes a longer time to get from point A to point B in Laos. We looking to combine some "on the go" sight seeing with a few days down time lounging at a resort/nice hotel at the end. Also, any opinions about the cuisine in these three destinations and how they compare to each other? I have heard Cambodia isn't as rich from a culinary standpoint as Laos and Vietnam? Any ideas, possible itineraries, or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 01:39

• Advertisement

• vietnamobse-
    ssed

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2010

Don't miss Laos, that would be my advice. I found Lao very sleepy and laid back compared to Cambodia and Vietnam, so if I were you I'd probably spend a few days at the end in a nice hotel in Luang Prabang, which has nice restaurants, a cute night market, stunning scenery and lots of hidden treasures to explore.

I'm not sure about the crossing between Cambodia and Laos (having gone via Vietnam myself). It its OK to do, then I'd say explore Cambodia for most of the trip and then head to Laos. It would be a shame to go to that area of the world and not see the wonder that is Angkor Wat. The nearby town, Siem Reap, is lovely and has lots to do independent to the temples.

Alternatively, stick to Northern Vietnam (Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Sapa etc) before venturing into Laos.

There are 'upmarket' resorts along the coast of Vietnam which have the advantage of beaches, for example MuiNe, which everyone seems to rave about, but I didn't think they were all that. The ones I visited lacked atmosphere and culture. Nha Trang was a nicer alternative, but more for the nightlife aspect, which is fine if thats what your into.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 21:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.