Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prabang to Vientiane night bus?

• katsnow

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

I just figured out if I make a day detour to Vientiane to apply for a Burma visa I can spend four or five more days in Laos instead of bumming around Bangkok. So....

Idealy I would like to catch a night bus after arriving in Luang Prabang arrive get my visa and night bus back?

Are there night buses going south? I have seen times for the other direction but I have yet to find any online information for the first leg.

#1 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Bus schedule here.
    http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2008/07/bussongthaew-schedulesdetails.html
    But in brief, yes. There is a ton of traffic at night on that road these days. Besides the busses originating in Luang Prabang , every through bus originating up north passes through Luang Prabang on it's way south.

#2 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 20:47

• chergood

Click here to learn more about chergood
    Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2010
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 8

I just rode into town ( Vientiane ) this morning on the overnight VIP bus from Luang Prabang. I purchased my ticket ahead of time for 140,000 kip which included pick up from my guesthouse. The tickets are slightly cheaper at the bus terminal in LP but you need to get to it (110,000 I think).
    I was charioted to the bus station by 1845hr, checked in (you need to exchange your purchase voucher for a ticket that includes your seat number and a food voucher). By 1930hr the bus was packed and off we headed. I noticed that some local gents actually climbed in the baggage compartment under the seats (which are the elevated type) and rode along. Having travelled in Laos for a few weeks I have not seen theft or issues – but something to consider is to make double sure all your worldly “goodies” are with you in the bus. On previous travels around the planet I have even purchased two bus tickets so my main pack could also travel with me and not on the roof or under the bus.
    The bus did stop a few times along the way for the typical locals on/off but the roads were quiet and the trip uneventful. We stopped somewhere for a dinner break of Lao noodles around 1230hrs and arrived into Vientiane at 0530hr. I had read somewhere that the bus terminal in Vientiane is only a couple of kilometres from town. I almost opted to walk due to the cramps in the legs from sitting and I was very glad I didn’t because it was a good 10 minute ride in a tuk-tuk at full throttle to get into the city center (10,000 per person).
    Safe journey.

#3 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 18:58

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

hi chergood,

do you know which bus terminal you arrived at in VTE? did it look like the one in the photos on this page: http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/01/vientiane-northern-bus-station.html
    or did it look different?

trying to figure out if VTE northern bus station has already moved to its new location. in Sept/Oct i'd tried to post news about the impending relocation on this forum but somehow it didn't get past the moderators...so ended up posting it here instead: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1955642

#4 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 22:45

• chergood

Click here to learn more about chergood
    Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2010
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 8

Hi cat... no the station did not look at all like those photos so I am assuming it is the new one. Very large central bus barn type building with bright lights. The tuk-tuks where behind where we stopped and they had us routed to town before anyone even went into the station. When I look at the map it is hard to tell. I know the airport is out that way, but it was still pretty dark when we arrived and I did not see if it was on the left or right of our drive in. We took at least one left hand turn which seemed to put us onto the main drag to city center.

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 23:01

• sukeren

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

Hi All,
    Is anyone has updated information about this "New Northern Bus Station"? Where's the exact location (since hobomaps only say "somewhere in this area") and still no info in the latest LP laos. How much it cost to reach it by tuk-tuk from the airport?
    I plan to visit LPB next month, and i plan to get to the Bus Station from the airport to catch the overnight bus.
    Btw, this is my first post in this great forum :)
    Thanks all for ur help

#6 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 13:59

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

here:
    http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-vientiane-northern-bus-station.html

& hobomaps.com has already updated their VTE Region map to reflect the new location at GK142:
    http://hobomaps.com/VientianeRegionMap.html

still no info in the latest LP laos

think it went to the publisher's before the bus station moved.

How much it cost to reach it by tuk-tuk from the airport?

last i knew, tuktuks to anywhere in town from the airport terminal charged a fixed rate of ~50,000kip (slightly over USD6 now)...maybe others have more up to date info?

cheaper would be to walk ~400m from the terminal building out to the main road & flag down a passing tuktuk & negotiate. but not if you have a heavy load to carry.

#7 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 17:58

• sukeren

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

@wanderingcat Thanks for the info....i think i will take your advice to get tuk-tuk at the main road :) and since the bus station is not too far from the airport, i suppose i still can catch the overnight bus to LPB

#8 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 10:08

• robertjohn

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2011

Tuk-Tuk is one of the best way to travel.

#9 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 13:17

• fi0na

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

yes, take the VIP bus! im here in luang prabang now with my friends. the regular bus from vientiane was AWFUL! it was so crowded and there were many stopovers. our 1.30pm bus was cancelled so we were asked to transfer to another bus. terrible ride. we're taking the VIP bus tomorrow. about the new terminal, all tuktuk drivers know how to get there. paid 200 baht from the vientiane bus station (where the bus from nong khai dropped us off).

#10 Posted: 19/2/2011 - 22:30

• Advertisement

• sukeren

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

Hi fi0na...Nice info :)
    From the map i've read, the new northern bus station is about 5 km from Talat Sao Bus Station (it is probably where u've been dropped off if i'm not mistaken), hope it won't cost that much form the airport.
    About the bus ticket to LPB, can it be reserved a day before? Since i probably arrived at the station at about 5 p.m. and the VIP bus leave at 8 p.m. i'm not sure the ticket still available if it is so crowded as you've experienced.

#11 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 15:26

• avipatkar

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2011

Can I get a night bus from Vientiane to Laban Prabang?
    How many buses travel on this route after 6/7 pm?
    How many hours drive it would be?
    Suggest cheap guesthouse accommodation at Vientiane.

#12 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 14:42

• kara_12

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2011

Did the bus stop off at Vang Vieng on the way?

#13 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 08:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 4568 23 Jul 2012
Bus from Luang Prabang to Vientiane ... By Meilian1818 on 17 Apr 2007 7 17976 26 Apr 2007
Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By Gerry on 15 May 2008 17 10024 18 Dec 2008
Boat from Vientiane to Luang Prabang ... By grak88 on 28 Feb 2012 2 3629 1 Mar 2012
Fly to Vientiane or Luang Prabang from Hanoi??? ... By kgroarke on 27 Jun 2011 2 2988 28 Jun 2011
Accomodation in Luang Prabang and Vientiane ... By nicoleslaw on 5 Jan 2012 3 1417 10 Jan 2012
time in Vientiane- Luang Prabang? ... By madford65 on 5 Jan 2013 15 1779 25 Jan 2013
Bangkok to Luang Prabang/Vientiane ... By mattza on 29 Apr 2008 16 21342 7 May 2008
Nightbus Luang Prabang-Vientiane? ... By Jolinde on 24 Jun 2010 2 3767 24 Jun 2010
To Vientiane or Luang Prabang from KL, or options? ... By Sampan on 7 Nov 2009 6 4013 9 Nov 2009