Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Need to figure out how to spend 10 nights

• Bear

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hello all,

After spending some time in the Thai islands, my husband and I will have 10 nights to get ourselves to Siem Reap for our departure flight. (He'll be continuing his 6 week trip. I'll be going back to work.) Based on my research so far, we will probably want to split those 10 nights amongst 2 cities/towns/areas. We've never been to SE Asia before, so this is all new to us. We enjoy hiking, cafes, historical sites, food, and meeting locals and other travelers. Not so much into the nightlife or adventure sports. I realize that we'll probably be taking expensive flights between these areas, but we sadly don't have the luxury of time.

Here is the rough itinerary:
    5 nights in Luang Prabrang
    5 nights in Siem Reap

With some possible trips out of LP and SR:
    1-2 nights in Nong Kiaow
    1-2 nights in Battambang

I am wondering if I should attempt to add a third city (and possibly subtract trips to Non Kiaow or Battambang) so we can visit either Vientiane or Phnom Penh. Getting to either of these places will probably cost a day of transit (although I do enjoy the view from buses). What do you think of the tradeo ff of adding one of these cities, but making the trip somewhat more rushed/hurried? Would it be worth it? The last thing I want to do is too much or become exhausted by constant transit.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any insight.

#1 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 01:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm a big fan of Battambang -- but an even bigger one of Phnom Penh -- so I'd stick with the original plan there -- esp given your interests.

The Vientiane / Nong KHiaow one is more tricky though -- if I had to choose I'd probably go with the latter and save Vientiane for another time. Mainly because the other three spots are all sizeable towns/cities -- would be nice to get into a smaller spot.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 08:42

• Bear

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Thank you for the reply. I like your reasoning regarding Nong Kiaow. Having never been to this area before, I'd like to see a sampling of the area. Combining Luang Prabrang and Non Kiaow makes sense. Thanks!

(I'm going to take the discussion of Battambang and Phnom Penh to the Cambodia board.)

#3 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 08:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.