Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Locally owned accommodation in LP

• indiansummer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the information in this forum, which has been so useful to me in planning my trip.

I'm going to be in Luang Prabang for a few days in mid-Feb and am looking to book somewhere to stay. I've seen a lot of nice looking mid-range places but a lot of them seem to be owned by foreigners - I was wondering if any of you could recommend some nice places that are Lao-run and owned? I'd much rather put my money into local hands!
    Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 19:49

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

not stayed in any mid-range places there before. but you could look through this website: http://www.luang-prabang-hotels.com
    for each property, click on the tab 'your host' & that should tell you if it's Lao-owned (although this info is missing for at least one of the Lao-owned places listed on that site).

owning a mid-range place would put the owners in the 'upper(most?) income bracket' of locals...guess that's why most Lao-owned places are in the budget range - many many in the Ban Wat That + Ban Houa Xieng neighbourhoods.

have stayed in the Lao-owned & -run (by family) Vanvisa Guesthouse (budget range) twice, & they've just (as of late Dec 09) completed an extension right next door that looks more mid-range. more info here: http://vanvisahome.com/index.html (info on the extension yet to be added, prob hafta contact them & ask)

#2 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 21:17

• indiansummer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

Thanks wanderingcat. I should've said - it doesn't have to be mid-range - I'd mainly been looking at them because they seem to be the most accessible ones in so far as having websites etc. I've heard a lot about Vanvisa - didnt realise they had a site though, so thanks!

#3 Posted: 22/1/2010 - 04:05

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

if budget places are fine with you, many of the budget ones in the Ban Wat That/Ban Houa Xieng area listed on Travelfish are Lao-owned. also many that are unlisted e.g. Oudomphong, Vongchampa, Nittaya, etc. & last month i saw even more new places 'freshly converted' from family homes - for mid-Feb should be no problem just turning up without a booking & looking around, practically every other home in those two neighbourhoods has morphed into a guesthouse.

to me there can be a difference in atmosphere between 'Lao-owned' (where employees come & go, just like in foreign-managed places) & 'Lao family-run' (e.g. Vanvisa, Oudomphong, Rattana, Chanthy Banchit, Cold River, etc).

#4 Posted: 22/1/2010 - 11:51

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I'll put in a plug here for the Villa Laodeum. It's located a short block up from the Mekong and across the street from the Royal Palace Museum. It's assuredly Lao-operated and, I believe, Lao-owned as well. The couple running the place were charming, and helpful in making arrangements if so desired. The staff consisted of two people, who seemed to be long-term. We were there in late March, 2009, and paid USD35 per night, breakfast included.

Have a great time in Luang Prabang. Some may complain it's been "ruined" and lost its authenticity, but we spent almost a week there and found it to be delightful & very laid back. At the southern end of the night market is a small side street (more like an alleyway) with several local food vendors. Grilled chicken and fish, cold Beer Lao...great fun.

Enjoy your trip!

#5 Posted: 30/1/2010 - 22:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vang Vieng accommodation owned by a New Zealander search ... By LissB on 9 Feb 2013 15 1400 4 Mar 2013