Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Phonsavan

• acidliam

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Posted from within Vietnam.

After nearly 300km on a motorbike me and my mrs arrived here today.

Its basically not very good is it? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to visiting the Plains of Jars, and the ride here was LOVELY, but apart from that and some nearby hot puddles, I'm not impressed.

#1 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 21:34

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

De gustibus non est disputandum. I like Phonsavahn and many others I know also do.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 08:17

• acidliam

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Posted from within Vietnam.

Don't get me wrong, its nice to be somewhere a little lest touristy and as I said the drive here was nothing short of breathtaking and well worth the numb arse. Its just our Laos friend described it as being so much more. I was definitely tired last night as well.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 08:35

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

The town of Phonsavahn is not that interesting, except for the market. Old Xien Khouan certainly is. Also, I love the lush countryside around here.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 11:59

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I liked it in that it was about a thousand percent more touristy than Sam Nua and warmer. Good internet and easy scooter rentals. Not into war scrap or bomb craters, boring, thought the plains themselves were realy nice. Pretty good Lao food to be had off the street.

I like plains, you can see a long way, I can understand why they chose to fight a regular war there, better for artillery and planes and all that crap. Notice the five or six Migs at the airport? Probably furthest from borders, looked like one was being canibalized.

Jars? Ok but didn't have any mystic revelations. Only saw a dry market. acidliam I thought chavs stayed in Vang Vien? What's up with the tooling around on a bike stuff.

#5 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 12:15

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

haha somsai, what do you know of 'chavs'?

i didn't enjoy my time in Phonsavan but that was more down to my own fustrations. I'll probably end up going back there to give it a second chance on the way to/from vietnam...

I agree the town isnt so great, i liked the market though. Very friendly noodly soup ladies, probably some of the most friendly i've ever come across. They may have been having a good day or something though?! perhaps the noodle soup lady union had negotiated a pay rise or something

#6 Posted: 22/1/2010 - 22:20

• acidliam

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I gave it a chance, and still wasn't impressed. Nearly everyone we encountered was far ruder than the rest of the people we have encountered in Laos, the place has very little to offer, the countryside is baron, the town is soulless, and to top it all it pissed it down the entire time we were there. The best bit was leaving and thats saying something about a 300km trip in constant rain, especially as we fell off the bike9km short of Phoukoun.

I shot vang vieng off as well, after all that I couldn't be arsed with it.

#7 Posted: 23/1/2010 - 09:20

• acidliam

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

These were my exact thoughts : http://www.manwithnopostcode.com/?p=124

#8 Posted: 23/1/2010 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.