Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Iterinary Issue from Chiang Mai - LP

• npar2696

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Hi folks,

I just have a quick query, basically I will be arriving in Chiang Mai on the 7th of February, and would like to do a day's trek after which I would like to move on to Luang Prabang as soon as possible.

1. Is it possible/better to leave Chiang Mai on the 7th night or 8th morning?

2. When could I expect to be in LP and consequently Vang Vieng by?

3. Is it realistic booking a flight from Luang Prabang on the 12th to Hanoi as we only want to do a day's tubing.

I would really appreciate any help you could share on this matter.

Many Thanks,

Nish

#1 Posted: 25/1/2010 - 07:32

• Advertisement

• npar2696

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Oh Also, I forgot to mention that we are quite keen on taking the slow boat from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang.

#2 Posted: 25/1/2010 - 07:32

• borisborough

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Slow boat from CM to LP takes three days - minivan from CM (leave 11am) to Chang Khong (arrive 4pm) , overnight in CK. Cross into Laos (9am) Slowboat from CK (leave 11:30am) to Pak Beng (arrive 5:30pm) - 1 day, overnight in PB. Slowboat from PB (leave 9:30am) to Luang Prabang (arrive 5:45pm). Total cost of CM-CK, accomodation in CK with buffet dinner, egg breakfast and sandwich lunch, and the two days of slowboat (but not the accommodation in PB) cost us 1650thb from a travel shop in CM. Did this on 21st December 2009.

We then went overland to Sam Neua in a day and overland from SN to Hanoi in a day.

#3 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 16:40

• npar2696

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

thanks for that useful information. If it takes three days, we might not bother with the slowboat, and hence is there a direct bus from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng?

#4 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 05:14

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You could alternatively take the fast boat to Luang Prabang from Huay Xai - takes 6 hours instead of two days. Package deal from Chiang Mai as described above, w/speedboat 2400b.

Also, a company called Aya Tours now operates an overnight van from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai then cross to Laos and connecting bus to Vang Vieng . So you leave in the evening from Chiang Mai and should be in Vang Vieng early afternoon the next day. If you want to do a day trek around Chiang Mai you need to arrange it the day before, so landing on the 7th you could trek on the 8th and be on the van to Laos that evening. Slow down boy! =)

#5 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 12:30

• npar2696

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Ah cheers mate, that really helps.

#6 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 12:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.