Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Acommodation in Pakbeng

• Drapes1

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hi

I'm in Chiang Mai at the moment and getting the slow boat to Luang Prabang with my girlfriend on Thursday. I know its a bit late to post this but could anyone recommend a place to stay in Pakbeng that doesnt invove sharing with rats etc as I've heard a few horror stories! If you could give directions for running off the boat too it would be great, thanks!!

#1 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

best map of Pak Beng i've seen: http://hobomaps.com/pakbeng.htm
    most accomm is along the asphalt road leading uphill.

no idea what's your budget. stayed in Monsavan GH when it was newly rebuilt in 2006, was 80,000kip/double back then but heard that rates have doubled since. Phetsokxai is further up the scale (last heard in USD20 range) of good places. many new places in Pak Beng that aren't in abovementioned map/guidebooks/websites, & quite a few old places have been renovated/rebuilt, so guidebook reviews can be way outdated.

to avoid rats i'd look for a GH with the most cats :P seriously i'd look for a place that looks newish/well-maintained, & check the room before i hand over any $. concrete is harder than bamboo/wood for rats to chew through. seal up (airtight) all edibles & rats (& roaches) won't have any incentive to visit you & your belongings.

#2 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 22:29

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello!

I'm getting worried, are rats really a problem in hotels in Laos? What's the minimum price to pay for at least having minimum chances of sleeping with rats? 15 dolars?

Hoping for good news!

#3 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 23:08

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Pakbeng hotels had a rep for rats a long time ago because everything was so new and the bungaloes were made of bamboo.

Now most places on the main drag are concrete and owned by families who have cats and dogs and all that.

Pakbeng is a midrange tourist gheto the same as anywhere.

Rest assured.

#3 I hate rats. In all my years in SEAsia I've only experienced them once in a hotel right next to a bus station in Bankok owned by an ethnicity that wasn't Chinese or Thai. Laos has very nice clean private rooms with en suite bath for $3 off the tourist track. For twice that you even get hot water.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 23:18

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi!

It's reasuring to know that an experienced traveller has only encountered rats once! That's better than good news!

From your personal experience, what's the minimum average price of a clean place with no rats nor cockroaches, nor bedbugs, private bathroom... around SE Asia? 5$ - 10$

Am I aiming to high?

#5 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 01:06

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I don't know. I'm not very traveled or even touristed. For the last 13 years only Thailand, Laos and Yunnan, and even then only sporadicaly.

No place should have any cockroaches or rats or bedbugs. I usually shoot for localy owned. Thai or Lao first choice and back in the day when I got around more, Chinese owned was a good safe choice, especially old Chinese.

Except for big cities I'd think you can find a room for $10 but again, price shouldn't be a factor in looking for clean and safe. Any decent guest house should provide both. Beaches are pricey as are any big tourist draw, world heritage thingies.

Look and see where the Asians are staying, they always like clean and value. The most popular backpacker place is usually worth avoiding. Too busy, not enough time to clean properly, staff is overworked.

#6 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 11:07

• Drapes1

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hi guys thanks for all the responses, unfortunately I didnt get a chance to read them before Pakbeng but it all worked out okay! I was actually very pleasantly surprised, we stayed in the Donvilasak guest house, we managed to book it through our hostel in Chiang Kong for 400 baht so that took the pressure off, and when we arrived there was a little Laos guy there with a sign and he took us up to the place (while offering us weed at least 3 times!). The rooms were perfectly fine and some of the restaurants were actually pretty good too so all in all it was a pleasant surprise and a good place to stopover. The guy in the restaurant also said that the village is now on the Luang Prabang electricity grid so they have electricity all the time now.

#7 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 13:48

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Thanks for the advices Somsai!

Glad to hear about those good news!

#8 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 02:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.