Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Tubing

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

hi all, this is going to sound stupid no doubt but ive got a quick question. i understand you pay for your tube before you get on the river but how do you pay for beers ect on the way down as surely you would have been in the river ect. many thanks.

#1 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 21:33

• Advertisement

• jaimcl

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2010

hey, all around Vang Vieng you can buy waterproof bags that you can stuff t-shirt, flipflops etc in - we shared one between five of us, otherwise if you don't want to take any of that you can buy little waterproof money pouches that hang around your neck (which is all i had and was perfect, even squeezed my camera into it).
    hope that helps, was there a few weeks ago very jealous you're on your way!
    jm

#2 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 04:30

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

As far as those waterproof pouches go, they are certainly a good option for keeping your money dry but be cautious.

I'm not saying this is a regular occurance but i met a few people who had had their little money pouch taken from them by someone they thought was there to help them out of the river or at least was just a friendly local who happened to be there. You put your camera and cash in those pouches, float down the river, have a few bevs then toward the end you see nice ol' mr.tube man who who is going to help you out of the river...before you know it the guy has cut the cord and legged it with your stuff.

#3 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 06:12

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

It's 10,000 kip (~ $1.20 USD) to rent a dry bag.

Theft is becoming common Vang Vieng.. people taking advantage of the drunkenness/stonedness of the tourists to snatch valuables (both locals and other tourists!), so keep your wits about you and don't take all your money tubing!

#4 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 15:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.