Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Exchanging Kip before leaving Laos?

• sl12

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2010

Sorry if this seems like an obvious answer to most, but from what I've read I havn't been able to tell if you can exchange kip within Laos? Do you have to estimate how much you'll need while in the country and if you have some left over, too bad you have to spend it there, or can you exchange your kip back to baht or some other currency before exiting?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 00:54

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i can't say for everywhere, but last month in pakse there was at least one travel agent who was exchanging kip for baht at decent enough rates. i also saw at the bank a guy exchange a pile of kip for US dollars. since the kip is used so much more widely than even a few years ago, i think it is much easier to exchange kip for other currencies now. the duty free shop at the border also accepted kip, which is where i spent my last little bit. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 01:00

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Yah, most places that exchange will do it both ways. The rate for buying dollars won't be as good as for changing USD to kip though. I'm in Vientiane right now and it's about 8,450 kip to the USD. Once you're in Thailand the kip is pretty useless, so get rid of if before leaving Laos.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 01:51

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You can exchange kip at any money change booth and at any bank.
    I agree with the above post however, - get rid of it before you leave Laos. Give it to me!

#4 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 07:27

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hey Rufus, do you live in Vientiane? I'm there right now doing the updates for the new guide. Any bar/restaurant recommendations other than the obvious places by the river? I'll buy ya a drink if I can pick your brain :D 0207273819

#5 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 09:43

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Ive lived here for some years now. Try Chez Philipe above Phimpone mini Mart, great food.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.