admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've just put up a blog entry regarding my experiences of the last two days trekking in the Nam Ha NPA in northern Laos. Excuse any typos, I've a sprained wrist!

You can read the blog entry here

Comments, as always, are welcome!

#1 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 11:00

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Sounds like you put the best face possible on a not so fantastic trek.

Some thoughts.

It's too bad your guide didn't facilitate conversation. His language, Tai Lue, is the lingua franca for the entire region, everyone can speak some to one degree or another. Most older Akha males can carry on detailed conversations in Lue.

That guy who was instrumental in establishing Luang Namtha as a center of trekking mentioned communication and the wish to make a connection as one of the most vexing problems in the trekking experience. Your local guide, was probably an ethnic minority, that's part of the reason they are hired is to help bridge the gap. There are other ways also to attempt to facilitate an exchange which the guide should have initiated. Many of the techniques are those worked out by the Thai programs where many Lao guides have gone for training.

I like to go alone despite the added cost. Most upland villages are of only one ethnicity, and one falang and one Tai Lue wandering in is not so different from a couple of Hmong guys wandering in, or a couple of Kamu soldiers from the government as also sometimes happens.

Thanks for the enjoyable read, I've been following and learning about twitter also. If this is how guidebooks were written I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I liked the part about people insisting LP was paid off, too funny.

#2 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 10:51

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Interesting report. Its a real shame that there was no possibility of communication between the group and the villagers. I found this aspect of my trek to be the most rewarding. We could ask our guide questions and, if he didn't know, he could find out the answer. We were also fed snippets of conversation by the guide when there was some joking going on or something relevant to what he had told us etc

This was especially helpful as it was teachers day when we were staying in the village; everyone was ruinously drunk and had no fears about giving us some lighthearted abuse about our lack of stomach for lao-lao. In the morning, after breakfast, one guy said "the foreigners, they eat so little rice i don't know how they stand" which everyone found pretty funny - including us, thanks to translation!

#3 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.