Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Discovery Pass/ASEAN Pass/booking tickets from within SE Asia

Posted by Gabrielah on 27/2/2010 at 03:27

I would love to travel via train as it's my favourite mode of transport, but I have very limited time in Laos/Vietnam (2 weeks), so air travel it is.

A couple of questions re Discovery Pass/ASEAN Pass/booking tickets from within South East Asia...

I've found different rates when trying to book the Discovery Pass via Bangkok Air versus booking the ASEAN pass through Vietnam Airlines. The carriers on both ticket deals are the same, so I assumed the discrepancy was in name only, but it isn't. Any idea why this is the case?

Bangkok Air advertises the $60/$120 rate, but apparently that doesn't include tax? Did I just speak to someone who didn't know what they were talking about?

Is the only benefit of the Discovery Pass/ASEAN Pass that you can secure these fixed prices?

(Am thinking of just booking these flight legs on my own using a combination of Air Asia/Lao Airlines/Vietnam Airlines.)

Also, I have found a $170 dollar flight from Bangkok to Vientiane. (Laos Airline.) Admittedly, true to form, I am trying to book at the last minute. I've checked a similar flight in a few months time and it is the same price. Can I get a cheaper rate if I book from Bangkok?

I ask because a friend who has traveled around the area told me that he thought I would be able to secure cheaper flights on airlines from within Bangkok. True? Or, too risky given that I have limited flexibility with travel dates?

Thanks in advance for all tips/advice/etc!

#1 Gabrielah has been a member since 26/2/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Indoluso on 28/2/2010 at 20:28

Hello,

I don't know if it'll help you but there's a site which has all the information on air passes in SE Asia:

http://www.airtimetable.com/airpass_asia.htm

Hope it's of any help!

#2 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by Gabrielah on 5/3/2010 at 14:11

Hi Induluso -

Actually found that link when I started my initial searches into flights. Though it was infinitely more time consuming, I ended up booking my flights on three carriers for the cheapest fares (cheaper than the asean pass and the discovery pass).

Thanks for your reply though!!

South East Asia here I come - woo hoo hoo.

#3 Gabrielah has been a member since 26/2/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.