Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Can one purchase Vietnam Air tickets from Vientiane to LP on the ground?

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

My husband and I have read the article on Lao Air's safety record, as well as a number relevant of posts, and have decided that we would prefer to use another carrier in traveling from Vientiane to Luang Prabang (this will be our first overseas trip as parents...please don't judge the paranoia!). Is it possible to purchase Vietnam Air tix between the above destinations in Vientiane, or should we do so from home as part of an extended itinerary? Thanks....

#1 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 08:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can only fly that route with Lao Airlines as far as I know -- you can by the ticket locally. They're a safe airline -- the intention of the story we have on that very topic was supposed to point that out ... I might have to go back and take another look at the piece.

#2 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 09:12

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"My husband and I have read the article on Lao Air's safety record, as well as a number relevant of posts, and have decided that we would prefer to use another carrier"

Fair enough, however I am extremely curious as to what you read, where you read it and how dated it was. Perhaps you could post this information for us? Lao Airlines is one of the better regional airlines about. I would much rather fly with it than some odf the local US airlines or Ryanair for that matter.

Not being rude here, but did you look at how current the information was that you read?

#3 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 08:46

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Thanks, Rufus, for your reply. You're right; I did not check the dates of the posts reporting dodgy experiences on Lao Air, though, looking back at the comments posted in response to the feature article, two were as recent as last year. I know we're not being super logical here (again, we're more skittish than we were before our son was born), and we may be able to overcome our trepidation, but, at first glance, we thought we'd rather not (three crashes with fatalities in a decade is enough to spook me). I am happy to hear you feel it is a safe carrier. Thanks again.

#4 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 10:54

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I have flown with them over 30 times with not a hint of a problem. Did you also know that their aircraft servicing has been outsourced?

#5 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 13:36

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As a bit of background, the Is Lao Airlines Safe to Fly? story first started back in 2006 when several posters made inaccurate and unfair comments about Lao Airlines safety record. The story (http://www.travelfish.org/feature/50) was based on research I did in 2006, and has been updated by Travelfish editors since to show more current prices on routes and the transition from the last of the older Y-12 planes to newer, modern aircraft.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Lao Airlines' safety is still considered to be an issue. As far as I know Lao Airlines hasn't had a fatal incident in nearly a decade now, and during that time the airline has made significant efforts to upgrade both its aircraft and its maintenance process (as Rufus already mentioned above).

Certainly these types of things are personal decisions, so if glomer isn't comfortably flying Lao Airlines, then that's okay. But even so, anyone concerned about this would learn alot from the overwhelmingly positive comments about Lao Airlines on the Airline Quality (Skytrax) website at http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/lao.htm.

Safety is relative, and I'd repeat today what I wrote 4 years ago that Lao Airlines safety record compares favourably with other regional airlines, and also compares well with the safety risks associated with other means of travel in Laos, such as riverboat or overland trips.

Just ask Rufus how safe he thinks the bus ride is from Vientiane to Luang Prabang!

Finally, it is worth repeating that ultimately, the decision on whether or not to fly Lao is yours. Could a crash happen with you on board? Absolutely. Will it? Probably not. At least now you'll be able to base your decision on facts rather than hearsay. Regards.

#6 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 01:43

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Just ask Rufus how safe he thinks the bus ride is from Vientiane to Luang Prabang!"

Lol. Not just the bus ride Exacto. Even driving myself, that route can be scary when you see a big pickup come around the corner on the wrong side of the road heading directly for you.

#7 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 07:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Rufus
    I would be curious who they outsourced it to.

Lao airlines is incredibly expensive. I still wonder why.

But an aisde note, Savanakhet international has become, relatively speaking, a busy little airport. We now have three flights landing there daily. Their final approach goes right over my house - which is comforting, reminds me I'm not totally cut off from civilization.

#8 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 09:23

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I believe it has been outsourced to a French company operation out of Vietnam.

#9 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 11:57

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Just wanted to say thanks for the discussion, and particularly to Exacto--it was very interesting hearing from the article's author four years on.

#10 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 12:56

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Read customer comments about Lao Airlines on http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/lao.htm

I too would not hesitate to fly with them. ATR-72s no worries http://www.laoairlines.com/fleet-information.html

#11 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 13:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Purchase of Trang train tickets ... By purplecat on 5 Jun 2011 2 2265 6 Jun 2011
Where to purchase train/ferry combined tickets? ... By shaungt08 on 3 Mar 2013 0 1611 3 Mar 2013
Do I need to purchase tickets in advance for weekend fights at Lumpini or Rajadamnern stadium? ... By W_Sobchak on 23 Oct 2010 1 1463 24 Oct 2010