Flag of Laos

Laos forum

From Bangkok to Si Phan Don

• alexrifa

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010

Hi,

I am planning to travel to SE Asia with my partner next July, for a couple of months. We will be landing in Bangkok and we were planning to cross Laos to visit Vietnam (our main focus). However, I was seeking advice on what route to take.

In the beginning I had thought about Bangkok, Sukothai, Chiang Mai and take a cruise to Luang Prabang ; however, I have been talking to some friends recently and they told me about the 4,000 islands in Si Phan Don, and how Laos is much better than Thailand (not that turistic), but I am finding it difficult to get a way to cross from Thailand to Laos (SI Phan Don), and we don't want to spend too much time in Laos (probably ten days and including Luang Prabang and Vientiane)

So, please, if anyone can give some advice on what route is better and how to move from Bangkok to Laos (south to North).

Many thanks

#1 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 22:46

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Alex,

If you are still planning on visiting Luang Prabang and Vientiane , then I don't think a trip all the way south to Si Phan Don is practical, particularly if you only have 10 days to spend. It is nearly 900 km from Vientiane to the islands, and will take you all of one day and part of the next just to get there. Seriously, if you only have the 10 days for Laos, just enjoy the time in Luang Prabang and Vientiane rather than try to cram in too much other stuff.

A completely different option, if you were interested, would be to head straight from Bangkok to southern Laos. You could take a bus, train, or plane to Ubon in Thailand and then catch the international bus from there to Pakse , Laos. Pakse is a great place to hang out for awhile, and you can visit Champasak and Wat Phu from Pakse as well as join a tour or rent a scooter for a trip across the Bolevans Plateau. Then you could head to Vietnam from Pakse, with or without a stopover in Savannakhet along the way. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 14/3/2010 - 23:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.