Flag of Laos additions

Laos additions forum

Loang Phabang to Hoi An?

• Rainbird

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

My wife (both retired but fit) and I have about 7 weeks in Asia travelling independently. Arrive KL 9th Dec leave from KL 23 Jan. We've booked to Hanoi for Monday 13th Dec and intend to spend about 5/6 days in the city to include a 2 day one night tour on Ha Long Bay. After that we plan on Luang Probang (probably fly) but then we want to travel overland down through Laos and come out at a border crossing near our next intended stop Hoi An . We can't figure this part out - I guess we need a mix of maybe river and road, any suggestions please? After a few days in Hoi An it's probably overland to Saigon and then Phnom Penh and Siem Reap from where we'll fly back (early New Year maybe) to KL and then out to Langkawi for a few weeks R&R. We're are on a budget so any suggestions for hotels along the way or trips (from travellers please) appreciated. Will be scouring Travelfish etc in the meantime before we leave.

#1 Posted: 24/11/2010 - 18:07

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hi: There are two crossings in southern Lao, going into Viet Nam.

East of Savannakhet, across the width of the country, is a crossing at Lao Bao, Viet Nam. From there, you go on Hwy. 9 to QL-1a to Hue, thence to Da Nang /Hoi An.

Further south in Lao, east of Pak Xe and Attapeu, is a crossing that leads to Plei Can, Viet Nam. From there, you would have to take Hwy. 14 ("Ho Chi Minh Trail") north to Da Nang and Hoi An.

In both cases, you would be traveling by bus. From Luang Prabang, you could take a bus to Vientiene, or fly. South of Vientiene, if you want to see the country, you will be riding on busses. Besides information here on TF, take a look also at http://laomeow.blogspot.com/, where there is a great deal of information about busses in Lao. Passenger travel on the Mekong, particularly south of Luang Prabang, is pretty much a thing of the past.

Have a great trip!

#2 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 10:19

• rshamash

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2013

trying to work out how to get from luang prabang to hoi an(apart from flying)

#3 Posted: 15/3/2013 - 12:50

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Your itinerary has me scratching my head - ( Hanoi - Luang Prabang -Hoi An) - very expensive if you fly, and very uncomfortable if by land! Seems to me it makes more sense to see Luang Prabang before or after Siem Reap. You also will need a multiple-entry visa For VN if you go with the original plan.

Lao Airlines is the cheapest flight - book on their official website (they're very good)

I was in both Luang Prabang and Hanoi last Nov/Dec - Hanoi pleasant but smoggy and cool, while Luang Prabang was much warmer with some rain

#4 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 22:03

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

The original post is from 2010 . . . rshamash just botted it up.

#5 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 22:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.