Flag of Laos additions

Laos additions forum

Is 3 weeks long enough thailand and laos

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Hi can anyone tell me if this itenary sounds sensible or too rushed?. we have 3 weeks holiday this feb spending 2 nights in bkk on the 3rd we will take night train to CM spending 3-4 days there get to the border and take either the slow boat to luang prabang or 1 day cruise boat i have read about. having 4-5 days in luang prabang then bk to bkk and finishing off on the beach possibly koh chang for 4-5 days. I dont mind a bit of traveling as to see different places this is a must. Im just unsure if this trip will be cramming to much in with to little time. any suggestions or advice on this itenary would be much appriciated. ps flying internaly is not an option eg from CM to LP or back to BKK proving to be quite expensive thanks lorna

#1 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 02:35

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

So you're really looking at 1 week in Bangkok/Northern Thailand, and 1 week in Laos, then 1 week around Ko Chang. It's certainly possible since you've decided to highlight key points to soak things in rather than race around to many spots - it'll give you a good chance to rest between travels.

I wouldn't waste time on the slow boat to Luang Prabang, just take a fast day cruise - most people have reviewed the ride and say it gets a little boring. Not sure how you'll get from LP to Ko Chang, but it will probably take two days of travel, might think of breaking it up with an overnight in Vientiane.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 08:48

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Thanks casey for your input i think its duable in the time scale of things i just keep changing my mind each day! i would love to see laos luang prabang, but im just concerned that it maybe to much traveling time. Its quite tempting just to BKK-CM it then get internal flight south and beach it. then i think it would be a shame to miss out LP spoilt for choice cheers lorna

#3 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 21:17

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

It really depends on if you'll be back in the area again. You can find plenty to enjoy by spending more time working your way north to Chiang Mai, hanging out there, and then just flying south to the islands.

I have to say that Luang Prabang is absolutely beautiful though, and 3/4 nights is ample time to enjoy it.

Life is full of tough choices!

#4 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 11:30

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Thanks your right life is full of tough choices! im just so excited to be going on holiday for 3 whole weeks in feb i feel lucky. its a bit like going into a sweetie shop and wondering whats sweets to pick! on where to go, additionaly there is a group of 6 of us its always slightly difficult to compromise. Though it looks like we defo going to ko chang at the end of the trip thank goodness we have managed to come to a decision! ps thanks for feed back on ko chang cheers lorna

#5 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 20:55

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I just stumbled on a link concerning the trip from CM to LP: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/119

#6 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 21:30

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

thanks im starting to feel you are my own personal holiday advisor thanks so much for all your useful info and links lorna

#7 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 22:20

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm leaving today for Laos - so I've been on Travelfish obsessively for a few weeks now waiting for the bell to ring and holiday to begin.

#8 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 08:05

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Have a great holiday!

#9 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 21:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.