Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos additions forum

Laos - Some info learned

Posted by Emz on 22/6/2007 at 10:31

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just left Laos, wanted to post that the main road in Vientiane - Sittahilat (?) is being dug up completely at the mo so dont plan on stayin there for the view/peace -still nice at night tho.
Also, contrary to everything I've ever read -there is an ATM in Luang Prabang (no visa - only Mastercard and Maestro). So you can buy that trip after all : )

#1 Emz has been a member since 22/6/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/6/2007 at 13:56 admin

Thanks for the update Emz ... and welcome to Travelfish!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,503
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by pauljaymes on 25/9/2007 at 07:15

I remember seeing an ATM in a Luang Prabang bank last year - I think it was sporting a mastercard logo and a hand-written sign that said something like 'Foreign Cards Not Accepted'.

Did you actually use the machine or just see it?

#3 pauljaymes has been a member since 10/7/2006. Posts: 75

Posted by exacto on 25/9/2007 at 09:28

Hey. PaulJaymes is back. Very cool. I hope to read more of your excellent comments.

I saw those same ATMs in Luang Prabang last year, and they had the same "foreign cards not accepted" signs on them that Paul mentions. That was, however, over a year ago now, which is ages in backpacker terms. I'd be interested to learn from others if the LP ATMs accept foreign card now or not.

We did manage to pay for several things in Luang Prabang with our credit card, includling a few meals at some of the more pricey restaurants. (By the way, it was completely worth it!)

There was definitely at least one international ATM in Vientiane, and we drew a modest amount of kip from it. I've heard others complain that it is often out of order or out of money, but I had good luck and imagine that the situation will only improve. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,630
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by od on 3/11/2007 at 16:02

BCEL bank has ATMs that accept foreign Mastercard at least in Pakse and Tha Khaek.

An English person I travelled with was able to get money out of the ATM with his Mastercard.

Visa cards are not accepted by these machines.

#5 od has been a member since 22/10/2007. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.