Flag of Laos additions

Laos additions forum

Laos - Some info learned

• Emz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just left Laos, wanted to post that the main road in Vientiane - Sittahilat (?) is being dug up completely at the mo so dont plan on stayin there for the view/peace -still nice at night tho.
    Also, contrary to everything I've ever read -there is an ATM in Luang Prabang (no visa - only Mastercard and Maestro). So you can buy that trip after all : )

#1 Posted: 22/6/2007 - 10:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the update Emz ... and welcome to Travelfish!

#2 Posted: 22/6/2007 - 13:56

• pauljaymes

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I remember seeing an ATM in a Luang Prabang bank last year - I think it was sporting a mastercard logo and a hand-written sign that said something like 'Foreign Cards Not Accepted'.

Did you actually use the machine or just see it?

#3 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 07:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey. PaulJaymes is back. Very cool. I hope to read more of your excellent comments.

I saw those same ATMs in Luang Prabang last year, and they had the same "foreign cards not accepted" signs on them that Paul mentions. That was, however, over a year ago now, which is ages in backpacker terms. I'd be interested to learn from others if the LP ATMs accept foreign card now or not.

We did manage to pay for several things in Luang Prabang with our credit card, includling a few meals at some of the more pricey restaurants. (By the way, it was completely worth it!)

There was definitely at least one international ATM in Vientiane, and we drew a modest amount of kip from it. I've heard others complain that it is often out of order or out of money, but I had good luck and imagine that the situation will only improve. Regards.

#4 Posted: 25/9/2007 - 09:28

• od

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2007

BCEL bank has ATMs that accept foreign Mastercard at least in Pakse and Tha Khaek.

An English person I travelled with was able to get money out of the ATM with his Mastercard.

Visa cards are not accepted by these machines.

#5 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 16:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.