Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos additions forum

New and Underpriced in Luang Prabang

Posted by alohafromjohn on 11/12/2008 at 13:31

I've just finished a very enjoyable two week stay in Luang Prabang, Laos. It was my first visit, and I was lucky enough to find a room at a newly opened hotel, Le Bel Air. The hotel is in a beautiful setting on the banks of the Nam Khan River just accross the "old bridge" from the town.

It's super-cozy with just 10 units and an easy 15 minute walk to the center of town or 5 minutes on the complementary bicycles; a great trade for the peaceful countryside atmosphere. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The staff is very friendly and eager to please.

The room rate, $60, was much lower than comparable hotels in town and included a wonderful complementary breakfast...a choice of Lao or made to order "American" style. The bacon was the best I've had in my 3 months in Asia, and the outdoor dining area overlooking the garden and the river beyond was a super way to start the day.

They serve a very good Lao menu for lunch and dinner. I met several people who just stopped for an aftenoon drink in the garden. The comfortable chaises were a great place for an afternoon of reading, napping or just watching the river go by.

There were so many pleasant surprises I don't know where to start. The room was a comfortable, nicely furnished, lots of space for hanging clothes, and soft cotton robes that even fit my 6 foot frame. The bathroom was spacious, modern and well equipped...with a huge tub. The bed was comfortable with soft linens and a real down comforter!

For a few extra dollars, the private bungalows are a real deal. Spacious, well appointed, a private varanda and lots of light.

I'm beginning to sound like a travel writer...did I mention the free airport shuttle service and free WiFi? So suffice to say that for under $75 per night, this is a great place to stay that I would definately visit again and again. It's so much nicer to wake to the sound of a rooster than a motor bike or delivery truck!

www.lebelair.com

#1 alohafromjohn has been a member since 11/12/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by brucemoon on 30/12/2008 at 07:50

Gee, for that price it'd have to be gold plated...

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by weiwei22 on 12/1/2009 at 21:12

Somehow the website doesn't seem to work, does anyone know how to book directly with the hotel?

Is agoda the best online booking option?

#3 weiwei22 has been a member since 12/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by chrispyrolls on 13/1/2009 at 03:26

this one works:

http://www.lebelairhotels.com/boutique-resort.htm

#4 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by weiwei22 on 13/1/2009 at 11:00

it does! thank you!

#5 weiwei22 has been a member since 12/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by wanderingcat on 16/1/2009 at 09:50

someone's experience at this place:
http://puss-inheels.blogspot.com/2009/01/travelslaos-hello-luang-prabang.html

#6 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.