Flag of Laos additions

Laos additions forum

Flying to Phongsali. Is it possible?

• songbird

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2009

We are planning next month's trip to Laos and wanted to fly VTE - Phongsali and then meander slowly downriver to LP. However, the Lao Air website now announces that it stopped flying to Phongsali (and 2 other destinations) on 1st Nov. They recommend looking at Lao Capricorn Air but that seems to be only freight.

Is it still possible to fly to Phongsali and if so with which airline?

I think a major rethink is on the cards!

#1 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 04:40

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Lao Capricorn Air -- that's a new one! I've read they have just the one place (a Czech made LET L410 which seats just 19 pax)... I'd recommend flying into Udonxai (from Vientiane) and making your way north from there.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 07:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Lao Capricorn Air plane at Wattay: http://blog-imgs-32-origin.fc2.com/l/a/o/laoweather/20091010S000.jpg

second #2's suggestion to fly VTE - Oudomxay, overnight, then catch Oudomxay-Phongsaly bus next morning.

when will you be in Phongsaly & doing the river trip? will be returning there in mid-Dec.

#3 Posted: 6/11/2009 - 09:47

• olexia

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2010

I am planning to go to Phongsaly in July and was interested in flying. I called Capricorn Air at the 856-20 4488771 number, and the lady said that the airport near Phongsaly is closed by the government for now. She said to call back in July and see if things have changed. She said that when they flew the route, it was on Wednesday and Saturday, and the cost was 1,011,000 kip/ 120 USD.

#4 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 08:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.