Thai Massage - more than just tongue twisting

• AjarnPasa

Click here to learn more about AjarnPasa
    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010
    Location Thailand
    Places visited:
    At least 92

No trip to Thailand would be complete without a traditional Thai massage. The history books will tell you all about Rama III confirming Wat Po as a centre for medical education. The learning materials are there: carved plaques on the walls, anatomical maps of mystical chi lines and pressure points in the cloisters, and quirky little statues of contorted yogis scattered around the garden.

Since its inception it has been the mothership, sending out masseuses and masseurs to populate massage shops the length and breadth of the country.

While the language demands on visiting the massage shop aren’t terribly onerous, it helps to understand some of the things that might be said to you and to know some of things you might want to ask.

Massage shops have of course diversified since the days of Rama III, so first here is what you’ll find on the menu:

Massages on the Menu

Massage นวด nûat

Oil massage: นวด น้ำ มัน nûat náam man

Thai massage: นวด แผน ไทย nûat păen tai

Herbal massage: นวด สมุน ไพร nûat sà-mŭn prai

Ancient massage: นวด แผน โบราณ nûat păen boh-raan

Foot massage: นวด เท้า nûat táo

What you’ll need to do

Once you’ve decided on the way in which you’re intending to while away a couple of blissful hours, the masseuse/masseur (หมอ นวด mŏr nûat) will probably have one or two small instructions for you:

เปลี่ยนเสื้อผ้า bplìan sêua pâa: Change (your) clothes

นอน nawn: Lie down

นอนหงาย nawn ngăai: lie on your back

นอน คว่ำ nawn kwâm: lie on your front

ลุก ขึ้น นั่ง lúk kêun nâng: sit up

ยก แขน ขึ้น yók kăen kêun: lift up (your) arm

จับ มือ jàp meu: hold hands

Under Pressure

As Thai massage is all about pressure points, it’s useful to know how to regulate that pressure.

Heavy (pressure): หนัก nàk

Light (pressure): เบา bao

ชอบนวดหนักไหม chôp nûat nàk măi: Do you like heavy massages?

Affirmative response: ชอบ chôp

Negative response: ไม่ ชอบ mâi chôp

เจ็บไหม jèp măi: Does it hurt?

Affirmative response: เจ็บ jèp (lit. hurts)

Negative response: ไม่ เจ็บ mâi jèp (lit. doesn’t hurt)

Please be gentle!: เบาๆ หน่อย ครับ/คะ bao bao nòi krap/ká

Now that you have the lingo, find out more about enjoying the ancient art of Thai massage in this article at Travelfish: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/7

Oh, and in that article they recommend you go armed with this question: เป็นหมอนวดนานเท่าไร bpen mŏr nûat naan tâo-rai when gauging a masseur’s pedigree.

Free Anki flashcards for this lesson available at our site, check out below...

If you liked this, you'll love our blog. Check out short, timely lessons in Thai (including this one in glorious technicolour) at www.tweetyourselfthai.wordpress.com and follow us on Twitter @AjarnPasa

If you have any questions or suggestions for topics for future lessons on Travelfish, feel free to leave a comment.

See you next time

@AjarnPasa

#1 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 21:53

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I like it but I wish TF had sound! Although the tones are indicated, personally I really need to hear them spoken by a native speaker to get an idea of how it's supposed to sound.

I'm sure Somtam can write a bit of code during his coffee break and fix that though ... he's a genius when it comes to technical stuff (except edit functions).

#2 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 05:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm sure Somtam can write a bit of code during his coffee break and fix that though ... he's a genius when it comes to technical stuff (except edit functions).

That gave me a little chuckle! C'mon Somtam - get off the surfboard and get cracking on the 'puter!

#3 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 10:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Me Talk Pretty One Day - learning the Thai tongue ... By CrankyCarrot on 7 Mar 2011 4 2089 7 Mar 2011