Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Ajarn Pasa,

In December I'm going to be heading over there with my bike. This will be the second time. The first time went smoothly. Not once was I in a situation where I had to explain something to someone with the hopes of getting something on my bike fixed. If I had needed to, I'm sure I could have made myself understood, but I would like to be more prepared this time. Could you please give me some phrases and words for commonly used cycling terms?

For example, when we say that the air is pleasant ("agaht sabai") can we use the same word for air that is inside a tire? Or no longer inside a tire? Is there a term for a flat tire? Fixing a flat tire? Filling a tire?

Lock, and locking a bike?

"Strange noise"?

"Wipe out"?

Thanks a lot.

#1 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 23:23

• Advertisement

• AjarnPasa

Click here to learn more about AjarnPasa
    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010
    Location Thailand
    Places visited:
    At least 92

Great idea Tilapia. I'll put something together for you shortly.

AP

#2 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 17:42

• AjarnPasa

Click here to learn more about AjarnPasa
    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2010
    Location Thailand
    Places visited:
    At least 92

In response to Tilapia’s post above, here are siome essentials for use while you are two-wheeling it around the Land of Smiles.

First, the bits on your bike:

Bicycle จักรยาน jàk-grà yaan
    Wheel ล้อ lór
    Tire ยาง yaang
    Spoke ซี่ล้อ sêe lór
    Pedal บันไดจักรยาน ban-dai jàk-grà yaan
    Headlight ไฟหน้า fai nâa
    Tail light ไฟท้าย fai táai
    Brake เบรก bràyk
    Brake cable สายเบรก săai bràyk
    Brake pad ผ้าเบรก pâa bràyk
    Chain โซ่ sôh
    Gear เกียร์ gia
    Gear system ระบบ เกียร์ rá-bòp gia
    Saddle อาน aan
    Pump ที่สูบลม têe sòop lom
    Axle แกน gaen
    Handlebar แฮนด์ haen
    Bike lock ที่ล็อกจักรยาน têe lók jàk-grà yaan
    Bell กระดิ่ง grà-dìng

Problems you might encounter on the road:
    แตก dtàek: This means, more or less, ‘crack’. You might use it with the casing for your lights for example: ไฟแตก fai dtàek My light is cracked.

หัก hàk: This is more like break as in broken arm, or something which has broken in half. You might need it for a broken spoke: ซี่ล้อหัก sêe lór hàk The spoke is broken.

เสีย sĭa: This means broken more generally, as is having stopped functioning. So, if your gears are up the spout or your brakes aren’t working you can say something like: ระบบเกียร์เสีย rá-bòp gia sĭa The gear system is broken.

ไม่ทำการ mâi tam gaan is a way to say ‘does not work’. This might be useful for when you’ve got a problem but you’re not sure of the reason. For example เบรกไม่ทำการ bràyk mâi tam gaan: the brakes don’t work.

I guess the most common problem a cyclist might encounter is a punctured tire. You’ll probably have your own puncture repair kit, but just in case you need it here’s the relevant vocab:

Puncture ยางรั่ว yang rûa (lit. leaky tire). If you want to tell someone you have a flat, you can simply say “Yang rûa krap/ka."

Repair a puncture ปะยาง bpà yang. Likewise if you go into the mechanic shop or bike centre needing a puncture repaired you can say “bpà yang krap/ka.”

You’ll see no end of workshops on the roadside with signs with big red writing saying ปะยาง so you should be alright with this one.

And to finish up on Tilapia’s direct questions:

Strange noise เสียงแปลก sĭang bplàek

For example you could say: There’s a strange noise coming from the gear system: Mee sĭang bplàek
    maa jàak rá-bòp gia มีเสียงแปลกมาจากระบบเกียร์

And, the air inside your tire is actually known as wind in Thai: lom ลม. So to re-inflate your tires is to เติมลม dterm lom Literally, to ‘fill the wind’.

Happy cycling all.

If you liked this, you'll love our blog. Check out short, timely lessons in Thai at Tweetyourselfthai and follow us on Twitter @AjarnPasa

If you have any questions or suggestions for topics for future lessons on Travelfish, feel free to leave a comment.

See you next time

@AjarnPasa

#3 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 08:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

ปะยาง (bpà yang - repair a puncture)

once you learn to read this, you'll realize there is a ปะยาง sign about every 20 meters in rural Thailand :-)

#4 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 09:11

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Excellent! Thanks a lot, Ajarn Pasa. I'll print off the ones I'd likely forget and will stick them into my diary and then hope I never need to use them. Crack is definitely a good one to know.

Exacto ... I always wondered what that meant. I could read it, but those words weren't part of my vocab. They are now!

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 00:11

• theChosenOne

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2012

"once you learn to read this, you'll realize there is a ปะยาง sign about every 20 meters in rural Thailand :-)"

Yep, I have no idea how I did not notice the signs before I learnt what the word meant. As soon as I learnt what it meant they were everywhere.

#6 Posted: 26/3/2012 - 23:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.