Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia help!

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be arriving in KL on 20th July after 4 weeks in south Thailand.

We have between 3 and 4 weeks before heading to Singapore. Even though we have some ideas on where we want to go i'm still stuck on parts.

Theres some really cheap flights to Penang so after 3 days in KL maybe another 3/4 days in Penang. But then should we head to the Perhentians? I'm not sure if we will be bored of beaches after 4 weeks of them in Thailand.

We like the sound of the Jungle Railway and definately want to go to Taman Negara. So how do we get to Perhentains or Teman Negara from Penang?

After Taman Negara we know we want to go to Malacca but what would you suggest either before or after Malacca?

We like pretty much everything beaches, history, culture, food, drinks etc

Thanks for your help

#1 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 01:33

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You don't need to fly to Penang... it's about 4 hours away from KL on the bus. By the time you factor in getting to the airport ( > 1 hour to KL airport), checking in early, etc. - the bus is probably faster.

To get to Taman Negara most people take the train. From KL, get on the train bound for Jerantut. There's a local bus from Jerantut to the park.

To continue to the Perhentians, take the train from Jerantut to Warkaf Bharu -- that's the nearest train station to Kota Bharu city. From there it's about 1 hour on a bus (or 30 min in a taxi) to the pier for Perhentians.

It would make most sense to visit Melaka just before you go to Singapore -- they're about 3-5 hours apart depending on traffic and the border crossing.

So, when you're done with the Perhentian Islands on the east coast, you could bus/train/fly (cheap flights between Kota Bharu and KL) back to Kuala Lumpur then get a bus to Melaka.

#2 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 11:22

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I assume you're flying to KL from Thailand? If you're happy with a bit of overlanding you could re-arrange your route so that you go Thailand to Penang then across to Perhentians (you'll have no problem finding a travel agent in Georgetown who'll be able to help you with this journey) then down to Taman Negara, KL, and Melaka as described by idreamofdurian. Just saves any backtracking.

#3 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 13:41

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

Thanks for your help. Yes I'm flying into KL so cannot travel overland. I didn't realise how close Penang was thought it would have taken much longer - how much does it cost for the bus? the flight was only £10.

OK so heres a rough plan:

KL (3 days) -> Bus to Penang (4 days) -> Bus? to Kota Bharu onwards to Perhentians (5 days) -> Jungle railway and Taman Negara (3/4 days)-> KL (1 day) -> Melaka (3/4 days) ---> Singapore

Does this seem ok?

That gives me about 20 days so I probably have time for one more place - where would you suggest?

Thank you

#4 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 15:53

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

That sounds alright to me. Maybe don't need so long in Melaka but it gives you a couple of buffer days at the end if you get stuck on the beach!

I didn't travel directly from KL to Penang so not sure about bus costs -we went via Cameron Highlands, which you could maybe consider if you want another stop off. I thought it was sufficiently different to the other places we'd been in Malaysia to warrant a visit.

#5 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 16:05

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

That seems like a good idea. Whats the best way to do it? and how long did you spend in there?

Thanks again

#6 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 16:17

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

We did it the other way round i.e. Penang to CH to Malaysia, but anyway, I'm sure it's just as easy in reverse. So, we got a minibus from Penang to Tanah Rata (Cameron Highlands), which took about 4 hours and spent 2 1/2 days there. Didn't do much the day we arrived - it was pouring with rain so we just chilled at the guesthouse - and then did a couple of walks and visited Sungai Palas tea plantation over the next two days. Ate lots of Indian food as well - great place for it! From there we got a swish VIP bus to KL which took a few hours.

#7 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 16:48

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

BTW I think the bus from Penang to Cameron Highlands was 35 RMB and the same for the bus from CH to KL.

#8 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 16:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Steve have you already bought your flight to KL? Air Asia fly to Penang from BKK too!

The bus to Penang costs roughly 10 quid too, but you don't have the transport costs of getting to and from the airports. Taxis into Georgetown from the airport in Penang are relatively expensive, about the same price as your flight probably!

There are no buses at the airport itself but if you're travelling light then there is a cheaper option than a taxi. Walk out of the airport to the main road, cross over to the other side, and catch a local bus into Georgetown. Buses aren't very frequent though, so you may have to wait 30 mins or more for one to appear. If I remember right, the fare is about 2.5 Ringgit ... make sure you have some small change!

If you do opt to take the bus from KL to Panang rather than flying, then try and get one that arrives in Georgetown itself (Komtar) rather than to the new long distance bus station. The latter is a bit far out of town so you'll probably need to get a taxi from there too unless you want to wait for a local bus to go past.

#9 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 17:01

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I love this site so much information thank you everyone.

Yes I booked the flight a bit ago during an Air Asia sale.

Obviously I will leave this open to change depending on what we like/dislike when we are there but heres the final plan:

KL (3 days) -> Bus to Cameron Highlands (3 days) -> Bus to Penang (4 days) -> Bus to Kota Bharu onwards to Perhentians (5 days) -> Jungle railway and Taman Negara (3 days)-> KL (1 day) -> Melaka (3 days) ---> Singapore

#10 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 17:52

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.