Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Minibus from Penang/Butterworth to Surat Thani/Koh Samui?

• bianco

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2010

So I’m trying to figure out the most efficient way to travel from Penang to Koh Samui. I’ve read elsewhere that I can book a Mini bus in Penang that will take me straight through to Samui. If this is true, about how much will it cost? About how long should a trip like this take?
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 07:07

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. We did it the opposite way - well from Ko Phagnan to Penang, but still via Surat Thani, so this will give you an indication of the journey (it will just be a shorter ferry journey to Ko Samui).

We got a songthaew / taxi to the boat, had a 2 hour ferry ride to the mainland, then a bus for an hour or so to Surat Thani, then another songtheaw to the office, then an hour's wait before we got squashed onto a minibus which took us to nearer the border, we then swapped onto another minibus which took us through the border and to Penang. It took about 15 hours door to door and cost 1,100 Baht each (bought from our guesthouse in Ko Phangnan).

So it's convuluted and quite time-consuming but possible!

#2 Posted: 22/4/2010 - 18:27

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

there's lots of travel agencies in Penang , and someone will definitely offer transit all the way to Surat Thani (nearest city to the ferry point). I'd guess it's not more than 100 RM.

It's a lengthy journey (previous poster said it took her > 15 hours!!) which means that even if you leave Penang at 6 AM you would arrive at the pier much too late to get a ferry to the island - you'd have to overnight in Surat Thani.

You could also break it up from Penang --> Hat Yai and then Hat Yai --> Surat Thani.

#3 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 12:31

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I did this many years ago. Travel agents in Chulia st can arrange - but I reckon most accomm places in Penang can do the same.

Thing is my trip got me to Surathani town pier well before the night boats left for the islands (around 2200 - 2300). Excellent way to get to/back from islands - cut the zzzzs on yer designtated matress and pillow while the boat chugs down-river and across the sea. Have repeated the trip several times since.
    Transport waiting at the pier when you hit the island.

#4 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 15:51

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

ah, forgot about the night ferries. Thanks tezza.

#5 Posted: 23/4/2010 - 16:02

• bianco

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2010

Thanks all!

I did a 20 bus ride in Peru and it was exhausting! Stopping in hat yai sounds good. What if we took the 5am train to hat yai, spent the night, and then took a mini bus to Surat thani the next day. Worth it?

#6 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 00:11

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Personally I'm a fan of just doing it all in one go and getting it out of the way! But if you've got time and feel like a stop in Hat Yai, why not. I don't know where that would leave you with getting the ferry over to Samui though - it might mean you end up killing time in Surat Thani before the night ferry.

Another option is the 1420 train straight to Surat Thani (takes c. 9 hours), overnight there and get the morning ferry. I should think the train will be more comfortable than the minibuses.

#7 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 11:43

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

If they leave Hat Yai in the morning they should arrive at the pier outside Surat Thani with lots of time for an afternoon ferry and arrival on the island before dark. The night ferry is slower, but you do save on accommodation.

#8 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 15:16

• bianco

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2010

Travellingsara- If the trip (door to door) was >15 hours, how long were you actually in the minibus? (Minus: border crossing, restroom stops, ferry, taxis etc...)

Idreamofdurian- i see your located in Singapore! We arrive in Singapore. What is the first thing we should eat when we get on the ground?

#9 Posted: 24/4/2010 - 23:24

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Eek.... I've got a reasonable memory but not sure how precise I can be. Something like this I think (it was last October). Remember I did it the opposite way to your trip:

Left hotel at 6am
    Ferry from Koh Phangnan at 7am
    2 hours on the ferry (9am)
    About 1/2 hour wait at port (9.30am)
    Maybe 1.5 hours on big bus to Surat Thani (11am)
    Straight into a songtheaw for about 10 mins to the office
    Waited at office for up to an hour (12am)
    Into minibus to Hat Yai - I really can't remember how long this bit took but probably about 4-5 hours (4pm)
    Straight into another minibus and an hour or so to the border (5pm)
    Border crossing was pretty straightforward but took around an hour with the waiting for other people etc. (6pm)
    Same bus down to Georgetown which took around 3 hours (9pm)

We actually arrived at 10ish so I've lost an hour there somewhere but you get the general idea! I don't remember having many rest stops whilst on the minibus but as the journey was broken up it didn't matter. Hope that helps.

#10 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

The food here is great and really diverse.

Classic Singapore dishes:

BBQ stingray with sambal (chili sauce)
    black carrot cake (fried dough, turnip, and egg in soy sauce)
    roti prata (flat bread with curry sauce)
    rojak (fruit salad in tamarind & peanut sauce)
    satay (meat skewers with peanut sauce and raw cucumber/onion)
    Chili crab with mantau (fried buns) for soaking up the sauce)

If there's any Western foods you've been missing during your travels, Singapore's a great place to indulge. Also great Indian, Middle Eastern, Korean BBQ, Indonesian, etc. all available here.

#11 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 18:16

• bianco

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2010

Sounds like we are going to take a minibus to Hat Yai, spend the night, then take a Minibus early next morning to Surat Thani. Its too bad you can't fly from Penang to Samui!

sara- thank you very much for putting in the time and effort!
    durin- thanks for all the recommendations! The rojak sounds awesome!

#12 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 23:01

• bianco

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2010

Sounds like we are going to take a minibus to Hat Yai, spend the night, then take a Minibus early next morning to Surat Thani. Its too bad you can't fly from Penang to Samui!

sara- thank you very much for putting in the time and effort!
    durin- thanks for all the recommendations! The rojak sounds awesome!

#13 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 23:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Surat Thani airport --> Khao Sok NP by minibus in afternoon ... By tomdegoeij on 13 May 2012 5 4631 17 May 2012
Koh Samui via Surat Thani? ... By chrisa77 on 19 Sep 2007 7 5572 25 Sep 2007
Samui/Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By msaw on 3 Jan 2008 6 4332 4 Jan 2008
Hat Yai- Surat Thani - Koh Phangan/Samui ... By dihaamir on 12 Jan 2011 0 3949 12 Jan 2011
Koh samui via Surat thani train station - WARNING FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS! ... By johnno on 7 Jan 2010 2 13429 18 Mar 2013
Anyone in Surat Thani ? ... By ianintheworld on 25 Feb 2014 4 488 2 Mar 2014
surat thani ... By TRENTA on 30 Oct 2006 1 2454 30 Oct 2006
Koh Tao or Surat Thani? ... By BTone on 6 Apr 2011 6 4106 3 May 2011
Surat Thani to Trang ... By aldoscriba on 21 Dec 2011 6 3991 25 Dec 2011
Kanchanaburi --> Surat Thani? ... By susan32 on 26 Feb 2008 2 7717 29 Feb 2008