Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Malaysia as an alternative to Thailand?

• bluebelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

My friend and I (both female, early 20s) are booked to go to Thailand, her for 4 weeks and me joining her for the last 2. There is a chance we might have to rearrange or leave when we get there because of the ongoing problems. Originally our plans included Bangkok, some smaller towns and villages, national park (jungle-like but quite accessible) and island hopping, beaches, maybe scuba diving.

I was wondering how we might plan a similar trip in a similar time frame if we ended up going to Malaysia instead? We've both been swatting up on Thai guide books and advice so don't know anything about Malaysia and what it has to offer! Our budget is pretty average, we don't need fancy hotels but will happily pay for safety.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 05:29

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

When are you looking at going -- weather considerations will influence what kind of recommendations you'll get (east coast/west coast etc).

#2 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 10:37

• bluebelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

She's leaving on sunday (hopefully) and me 2 weeks later sorry!

#3 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 16:02

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Jungle - Taman Negara park (trekking, wildlife viewing, camping)

Nature - Cameron Highlands (trekking, tea plantations, cooler weather)

History - Penang or Melaka

Beaches - Perhentian Islands, Tioman Island, Langkawi

And that's just Western Malaysia -- Borneo (East Malaysia) is great, too.

#4 Posted: 19/5/2010 - 08:43

• mjgaylord

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Penang, Perhentians and Melaka are definitely on my list. Melaka was the most surprising of all if you want to experience a bit of authentic Malaysian culture Perhentians are really rustic and beautiful. Langkawi was a bit pricey and a bit touristy, and if you don't want to spend a fortune on taxis you will need to hire a scooter or a car.

Otherwise, you can always catch a bus into Southern Thailand from Malaysia if you want to see a bit of Southern Thailand. Just note that you only get a 15 day visa at the overland border post.

#5 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 06:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.