Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Borneo 10 days

• pippeline

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2010

Hello!

I'll be in Borneo for 10 days end of July and I know it's not much time, but I want to get the best out of it.

I'll fly into Miri on 25th of july and want to fly next morning to Mulu. How long would you recomend to stay in the national park, is 2 nights enough?

Then I'll fly from Mulu directly to Kota Kinabalu and want to stay there for 2 or 3 nights.

I'm not interested in climbing Mount Kinabalu, so I will go by bus to Sandakan, I really want to see the Orangs at Sepilok Center. What else is worth there to do/see? And how long would you stay there?

On 4th of august I'll fly out to Kuala Lumpur again.

What do you think? Does the plan sound reasonable? Except of the flights to Miri and from Sandakan I'm still very flexible and would love to hear your suggestions!

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 17:23

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

well, sounds like you'll be really busy but it's possible.

From Sandakan you can also join a jungle tour in the Kinabangtan River Basin area. Very isolated and amazing wildlife spotting opportunities. You can book with the popular operators online, or arrange it once you're in Sandakan. I'd really recommend the 2 nights/3 days one. - http://www.uncletan.com/

I haven't been to Mulu so can' say about that... there's actually not that much to do *in* Kota Kinabalu - decent shopping, nice restaurants, that kind of stuff. The highlight is definitely the daytrip to the islands for snorkeling.

So I'd say spend the brunt of your 10 days in Miri-Mulu / Sandakan

#2 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 10:27

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yeah - I thought KK was nice enough but agree that unless you go out to the islands there's not much point spending time there if you're on a tight timescale. Could you fly direct from Mulu to Sandakan? If so then that would probably make the most of your time if you're not up for the islands / snorkelling.

Regarding the Orang-utans, I'd definitely recommend trying to go to both the morning and the afternoon feeds. Your ticket gets you into both - though if you're staying in Sandakan that's quite a long time to hang around. We stayed at the Sepilok Jungle Lodge, just outside the sanctuary, so you could look at staying at one of the resorts there or where we stayed had a pool so you might be able to pay to use that / have lunch there between the two feeds.

#3 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 11:18

• pippeline

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2010

Thank you for your replies! Actually I would like to do at least one daytrip to the islands in front of KK and furthermore I didn`t find any direct flights from Mulu to Sandakan (or is there one?), so I have to stay in KK anyway.

Uncle Tan sounds cool, I hope I will have enough time for that!

But still: How many days one should stay at least in Gunung Mulu? Is there also a daytrip to the Pinnacle, or is it only possible with an overnightstop?

Thank you!

#4 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 15:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.