Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Perhentians: robbery, drugs...is it true?

• Aloyacska

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010

I know that there have been some discussions about this issue in other forums, but they are from 2008 or even older. It would be great if someone who has been there lately could give an update: is it true that

- u get robbed on the beach/in your closed room when you are not there or sleeping
    - girls should not go anywhere alone
    - local people are heavily on drugs and walk like zombies?

I hope the articles saying all this were very exaggarating and its safe to travel there:) Thanks!!

PS: Im mostly interested in the backpacker island (Kecil)

#1 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 05:25

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

wow.. where in the world you get that?

Perhentians are 2 very safe islands. One caters for the more stars bungalows and resort whilst the smaller one caters more for back packers. Its laid back, wonderful island and I assure you... safe as anyone would have like it.

have fun.

AA

#2 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 10:24

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I reckon take the usual precautions. The Perhentians is the only place in dozens of SE Asian visits I've had my bungalow broken into.

#3 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 14:24

• Aloyacska

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010

@AbgAcid: I have absolutely no intention to spoil the image of the islands, I read them here:
    http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp?id=18166 and here http://www.passplanet.com/malaysia/perhentian_islands.htm

Thanks for the info, so its only the usual precautions:)

#4 Posted: 22/5/2010 - 14:48

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Thanks for the links, appreciate it.
    I been there on both islands, did not encounter any ill luck.

anyway, since I ve read the links, do take the necessary precautions. And do have fun, the waters are good at this time of the year, a snorkeling paradise.

AA

#5 Posted: 23/5/2010 - 17:08

• apriljune

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010

thank you, you make me feel good hat it is safe to travel their.

#6 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 15:39

• Barracuda

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi all,

I totaly agreed with AbdAcid, perhentian is a very safe place. I've stayed there and no bad things happened to me. No one broke into my room. I dont know where this people get such a information.
    Aloyacska & apriljun, there is no zombies there. Dont worry.

The small island is a paradise for beach lovers.

Enjoy your self,

Cheers,

Barracuda

#7 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 21:01

• alexinwonde-
    rland

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

While this is somewhat of a tangent, I feel the need to scream it from the rooftops: during the high season, book ahead! I just wrote a post on this but I don't think I'm allowed to link to my own blog, but when I traveled to the Perhentians as usual I did not make reservations ahead, and spent the better part of the afternoon thinking we were going to be sleeping on the beach, until we found ONE room available in the ONE guesthouse we had left to check!

I would not feel safe sleeping open on the beach. That night we had someone rustling around on our porch, and realized the door was held shut with a rusty nail. We changed rooms the next day.

So standards are a bit lax, but it is my favorite island I've ever been to, no roads, no atms, no "scene", just beautiful beaches and AMAZING dives. Go!

#8 Posted: 12/7/2010 - 19:39

• joostay

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010

alexinwonderland, "during the high season, book ahead! "

Would you say this is the case for Mid September as well? Does anyone have any good recommendations of mid-range places? :)

#9 Posted: 14/7/2010 - 19:00

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

I'm also lookng to head there mid September, wasn't planning to book ahead but maybe I should now!

#10 Posted: 14/7/2010 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• alexinwonde-
    rland

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I was there in July so I can't speak to September's crowding... I do think its worth it to either book ahead, come in on the morning boat, or be prepared for the possibility of beach sleeping! Maybe it was an isolated incident but its a small island with a lot of appeal... makes sense that demand may outrun supply.

#11 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 03:28

• almostcool

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2010

perhentian is a very safe island.

- u get robbed on the beach/in your closed room when you are not there or sleeping

#12 Posted: 29/8/2010 - 15:28

• almostcool

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2010

perhentian is a very safe island.

#13 Posted: 29/8/2010 - 15:34

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

yeah it depends where you got robbed. If it's inside your room then we must give it a second thought.

#14 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 20:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.