Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Best way to Perhentian Islands

• Carrelas

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2010

I will be in Phuket and then heading to the prehentian islands. Would it be best to avoid the border of thailand and Malaysia and fly to KL? Is there an other way? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 20:51

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

If you want to go overland, it would be: Phuket --> Hat Yai --> Kota Bharu --> Perhentians. The border crossing is fine.

From KL it's also a fair amount of time overland to get there.... About 8 hours to the ferry town by public transit. You could also fly to Kuala Lumpur then fly to Kota Bahru -- from there it's only an hour or so to the ferry point. AirAsia flies both routes.

#2 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 23:58

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Hi

I am doing the same thing in August - we werent sure about using the Sungai Kolok/Rantau Panjang border as it still seems that area is experiencing a lot of unrest.

However we will be travlling from Surat Thani (having come back from Ko Pha-Nagn) and going to the Perhentian Islands.

Has anyone has made this trip or any ideas on how to make it and long long it would take?

Thanks

#3 Posted: 5/6/2010 - 20:14

• Barracuda

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

Hi,

My advice is if you re coming from Thailand, the best way to Perhentian is to go to Kota Bharu and then from there to the Kuala Besut jetty. The Journey will take about 45mins. There is another jetty called Tok Bali which offer boat services to Perhentian but not very popular due to very few boat are operating there.

You will save lot in time compared if you re flying from Thailand to KL and then to Kota Bharu. The jouney from KL to Kota Bharu by bus will take bout 8hrs and if by Plane bout 30min to 45mins. You can check with air asia on that.

I done like that last year. I fly to Kota Bharu by air asia and stayed at cerana Guest House in Kota Bharu and the next day i take a cab to Kuala Besut Jetty and then to Perhentian. It was fully booked when i reached there coz of holiday. I bought my boat ticket at the Guest House and they also hepl me to arrange the cab to the Jetty. It cost me about RM40.00. If you can find other fellow traveller to the island you can share the costs.

About the border situation, i think it is quit safe now coz i never heard any news from that site for the past few months. Its only in Bangkok. Sungai Golok/Rantau Panjang border seems ok at the moment.

Catherine when you will be arriving at Kota Bharu? I have a plan to Kota Bharu this August and may be to Perhentian but the date not sure yet. May be we can meet up on our way to Perhentian.

Regards,

Barracuda

#4 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 20:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Perhentian Islands.. ... By jasonkim8486 on 25 Sep 2009 4 4330 26 Sep 2009
Ko Lanta to the Perhentian Islands ... By Kiah on 17 Feb 2010 5 6392 21 Feb 2010
Perhentian Islands - March ... By stever1000 on 6 Jan 2014 0 801 6 Jan 2014
from Perhentian Islands to Melaka ... By marie79 on 24 Feb 2010 2 4860 25 Feb 2010
Any experience with the Perhentian Islands? ... By caseyrebecca on 7 May 2008 7 7636 27 Jul 2009
Perhentian Islands to Bangkok? ... By doidgeandpleach on 29 Apr 2013 7 2960 6 May 2013
perhentian islands accomodation ... By Steve81 on 26 Jul 2010 0 2396 26 Jul 2010
how to get to perhentian islands from Krabi.... ... By aliclaredale on 14 Aug 2007 2 10997 16 Aug 2007
From perhentian islands to taman negara ... By jonyd1 on 4 Mar 2012 5 5745 11 Mar 2012
Quickest way from Siem Reap to Perhentian Islands.... ... By doidgeandpleach on 29 Apr 2013 7 2795 4 May 2013