Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

how to get from kuching to bangkok?

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey! I'll be in Kuching for a week, and I have to fly into BKK on July 9. Skyscanner tells me the cheapest way to get there is to book two separate tickets with Air Asia: one from Kuching to KL, then from KL to BKK. Is a 2-hour connection in KL enough time to make it to my next flight?

Also, is it better to book now? Or should I wait until I get land in Malaysia on July 2...

#1 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 23:37

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Two hours should be enough time and it's best to book ASAP...prices go up the closer you get to the date.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 00:41

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sorry SBE - but I think 2 hours is cutting it a bit fine, esp on Air Asia. Two hours may be OK *IF* the first flight is on time. Don't forget that Air Asia is a point-to-point airline (I think that's the term?!) which means you cannot check your luggage straight through from Kuching to BKK. You will need to collect your bags, then check-in for the second flight.

Two hours could be OK if the flight first flight is on time. But if it's not, and you miss your flight, you will lose your $. Still, it might be worth the risk rather than planning to stay a night at/near the airport.

My 2 cents...

#3 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 03:35

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

2 hours should be OK... You need to check in for an AirAsia flight at least 45 minutes before departure, and there's no immigration/customs to clear arriving in KL from Kuching.

So, let's say (worst case scenario) that the flight is 45 min late... there's still about 30 minutes to collect any luggage and check-in again. If it's an option, try to travel with hand luggage only so you don't have to wait around to collect your bags...

Also, if you miss a flight or something goes wrong, there's the Air Asia Tune Hotel (cheap!!) right beside the budget terminal in Kuala Lumpur (where Air Asia operates from).

Or you could try comparing Kuching --> Singapore --> Bangkok (usually cheap too, also check JetStar.com) and see if connection times are better.

#4 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 13:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.