Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

2 Weeks in Sarawak - Where 2 go? what 2 see?

• hotchily

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

Hi travellers,

We are intending to go to Sarawak in November for a couple of weeks, and enquiring if anyone has any recommendations on what to see, do and where to stay.

We are intending to visit Brunei for about 2/3 days (max)to visit the Temburong area and then travel by bus to Sarawak. There are a multitude of NP's - what would the best ones be to visit along the way to Kuching?

Hoping to stay in both Bako NP and Kuching for a few days each.

Not much has been written for these parts

Cheers

John

#1 Posted: 19/7/2010 - 06:43

• Advertisement

• hotchily

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

well looks like not many of us have travelled this route let alone be able to discuss it.
    Looks as though I will have to do a trip report when I return
    J

#2 Posted: 10/9/2010 - 08:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sorry I can't help you out there - but please do write a trip report when you get back. Borneo is on my list of places to get to later next year so would love to hear what you have to say.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

#3 Posted: 10/9/2010 - 13:56

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I've travelled to Sarawak a couple of times, the latest being earlier this year. Both times really enjoyed it.

Kuching is a nice, surprisingly upmarket city. Certainly good for a few days. There's quite a lot to do, including going to the Orang Utang rehab centre outside town. But mainly its just a pleasant place to hang out for a while. There's a really good mix of people around, from local Malays to Chinese to local indigenous people. There are far fewer westerners than in much of the region, which is quite nice really. Try to eat at the Top Spot, which is a huge array of hawker stalls (mainly seafood) on the top floor of a multi storey car park. We ate in various places and unless you went to really obvious tourist places, you will likely be the only westerners there.

This time we stayed at Basaga, a converted schoolhouse a little away from the centre. Nice place, not too expensive. At night it was one of THE places for the young and cool of Kuching to hang out in the open air bar/restuarant.

First time we took a 3 day trip upriver to stay at a longhouse. An extraordinary experience, recommended. On our trip, we went with just a guide; when we arrived there was a Swiss couple also staying, but that was it. Not cheap, but will be remembered always. Did some trekking through the forest, moving around the river system in longboats, shown how to fish and then cook rice in bamboo. Mainly, though, just talking (or just smiling) with the locals, or drinking rice wine with them. Accommodation is basic, but fine. We ate mainly food brought by the guide with us, which was excellent.

This time, went to Bako, which was really good. Saw the proboscis monkeys, plus various other kinds, also a pit viper. Some people we spoke to found the trekking there quite tough - we are pretty fit, so were OK, but there are some steep climbs.

Also spent a few nights in a treehouse in a resort not too far from Kuching. I think it is called Permai Rainforest resort. The treehouse was in an area of rainforest, but also within yards of the beach. Was really nice for a few days. Next door was the Sarawak Cultural Museum, which was worth a visit.

#4 Posted: 10/9/2010 - 15:45

• hotchily

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

Thanks Nokka - good insights and will look those places up - have been in Sabah for a month early 2006 and really loved it, so thought we would poke around Brunei for about 4/5 days and Sarawak for the rest of the time.

Busylizzy -I think I will still do a trip report to add a few more experiences to share

Cheers

#5 Posted: 13/9/2010 - 13:29

• hotchily

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2009

Thanks also rjames.
    We will have plenty to do now....hoping to have a few chillout days to soak it up also

#6 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 04:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.