Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

malaysia -- help!!

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey guys!

My friend and I are leaving Bangkok on the 7th of August, and would like to visit KL. I will be flying out of KL on the 17th (back to Bangkok, then home). I've lost my Rough Guide to Malaysia somewhere in Kanchanaburi, so I need your help as to what to do for those 10 days.

Considering we don't want to spend an excessive amount of time in KL, I was thinking of going to Penang first for a couple of days, then KL for the last few days...? We're not in a rush, so it might be interesting to take a train through Thailand to get to Buttersworth (then ferry to Penang). Otherwise, it will cost me about $100 USD to fly BKK-PEN.

What else should we check out? Melaka? Perhentians? We don't have much time, so I'd like to limit it to 2-3 places max.

I need your help for itinerary and affordable transport options. Thanks :)

#1 Posted: 23/7/2010 - 14:06

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi Jacklynt,

After a few days in Penang, get a bus to Kota Baru. Wont cost you much. And from Kota Baru, you get a bus or a taxi to Kuala Besut, Its just about 70km I think . Thats the getaway point to Perhentians.

After Perhentian, you may have to backtrack to Kota Baru to get a bus to Melaka . Express coaches are available, and they are reliable, no problem to that. You may take the night coach, and you will reach melaka early the next morning. Melaka is a must-go place.

regards
    AA

#2 Posted: 26/7/2010 - 21:15

• Jamess

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2010

Hi Jacklynt

better go to Perhentian Islands for your vacation. Nice and beautiful there. You must visit Kota Bharu for couple night. Small town but very interesting. I suggest you to still in Myplace Guest House in Kota Bharu and Mohsin Chalet in Perhentain Islands. thanks !

#3 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 01:37

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Do you specifically want to go to Penang ? If so - and you also want some beach time - you could go to Penang (flight or train) and then get your beach time in Langkawi then head to KL by bus via a few days in the Cameron Highlands. If you're not bothered about beach time then from Cameron Highlands you could do an overnight in KL then over to Melaka for a night or two then back to KL to end. It might be possible to travel from Cameron Highlands direct to Melaka - not sure.

If you're not bothered about Penang then you could fly to KL and do trips from there out to Melaka, Taman Negara, Cameron Highlands, for example. That could easily fill your time.

I loved the Perhentians when I was there but that was 5 years ago, not sure what they're like now. But we were in Penang end of last year and there were packages being offered for transport to the islands so it would be quite easy to organise - then you could fly cheaply from there to KL or go by train, via Taman Negara if you fancy it.

A few options there as I'm not sure where your preferences lie.

#4 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 11:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.