Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Penang/Malacca/Borneo

• placeshifter

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2010

We're a couple thinking of visiting Malaysia for 3-4 weeks. We have a 3 year old child.

We're looking to rent a house/villa somewhere that's in a beautifully charming setting, close to unspoiled nature, without a whole lot of modern "developments" like skyscrapers, concrete buildings, and big shopping malls.

On the hand, I do need high-speed Internet at the residence for work.

Can someone recommend where we could spend our time?

Because of the child, we'd rather stay in 1 or maximum 2 places and not do too much traveling.

#1 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 01:49

• Advertisement

• placeshifter

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2010

My research has so far yielded Kuching/Sarawak as a place where we should spend most of our time...for the colonial atmosphere and access to unspoiled nature within the relaxed confines of having a child.

#2 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 02:06

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

Kuching is very untouristy, in saying that the city is quite large and busy, but unlike Penang or Langkawi lots of places shut at normal business hours, we had a hire car and went to Bako National Park which is lovely but the walks start with a huge, hot climb up a really big hill so prob not for kids, Semenggoh would be a nice trip with a child and around Damai Beach it is lovely and quite, but I'm not sure of your chances of hiring a house there. We stayed in the Permai Rainforest Resort in a treehouse (that was cool). Sarawak was nice but I much prefered the vibe in Sabah and everything outside of Kota Kinabalu is quite, you might also look into the northern part of Langkawi or around Tasik Kenyir in Taman Negara National Park, I haven't been but I hear its beautiful there, I have a brochure here and they seem to have a range of lakeside chalets to choose from and they are all spread out over a huge area and there is watersports, fishing, waterfalls, caves and islands. Not too sure of the internet you'd have to check. I have http://tasikkenyir.com/ and http://www.ketengah.gov.my/kenyir/ I hope that helps (the brochure is a few years old now) Good luck and happy travels

#3 Posted: 4/9/2010 - 11:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.