Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Cameron Highlands - need anti-malarials?

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anti-malarials are needed for the Cameron Highlands? For the most part I will be in the tourist areas but will be hoping to go on a few walks/trails if possible.

From this map I'm guessing they are not necessary for Penang, Kuala Lumpar or Melaka but can't tell if Cameron Highlands are in the red spot or not: http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/malaysia/malaysia-malaria-map/malaysia-(west)-malaria-map.aspx

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some advice as my local nurse is pretty useless!

Lara

#1 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 17:40

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Lara,

Don't be too hard on your local nurse. It is a pretty big world out there, and nobody has an answer for every little corner of it.

In any case, there are quite a few similar threads on the message board here, although I don't recall one specifically for the Cameron Highlands. Reading through them, you'll likely discover that most of the longer-term residents and travellers on the message board personally don't take anti-malarials when they are in the area. Instead, most of us take measures like using bug spray (some with, some without DEET), covering up when needed, particularly at dawn and dusk, and doing things like getting enough rest and eating well to keep our immune systems strong when travelling.

It is a personal choice, so definitely do what works best for you. But also please remember that there are worse mozzie-borne things out there than malaria, like dengue fever and such, and the only way to protect against those as far as I know is to avoid getting bit by mozzies in the first place - hence the spray, covering up, etc.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 10/8/2010 - 01:10

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

It all depends on how you gonna stay the night. If you intend to stay in tent in the middle of the rainforest, then i suggest you should. Personally, it is safe to do without the anti malaria thing, if you are staying in hotels or guest house at cameron highlands. And if you are going trekking, use of insect repellant to the exposed sections of the body is good enough.

Insects spray is quite useful if you re staying in fan room, not for malaria (as malarial mosquitoes are ususlly asscociated in the forest) but for dengue borne mossies) Dengue has a higher rate of occurance than Malaria in Malaysia currently. These breed of mossies are city bred.

Enjoy your holdiays.

AA

#3 Posted: 10/8/2010 - 12:27

• LaraP

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2009

Hey,

Thanks for the replies and advice! Definitely will be following all the usual bite prevention protocol - wearing sensible clothing, using DEET, etc etc. Though usually I find despite taking those measures some pesky mossies will still bite me, which is all the more worrying given the increase of dengue fever. Guess all I can do is take all preventative measures and hope I'm not unlucky!

Oh and believe me, my nurse is useless generally - not just in her travel advice which I understand is not really meant to be her expertise - so I promise I'm not being too harsh on her!

Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 00:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anti-Malarials and Other Shots ... By exacto on 6 Mar 2006 3 3361 11 Apr 2006
Malaria & anti-Malarials --> Do I really need them? ... By tatham on 10 May 2010 10 5219 15 May 2010
cameron highlands help ... By jonnyn12 on 30 Mar 2011 2 2466 5 May 2011
Cameron Highlands ... By samguesthouse on 29 Dec 2011 0 1809 29 Dec 2011
Cameron Highlands ... By dmg on 18 Jan 2009 2 3302 19 Jan 2009
Cameron Highlands to Gua Musang ... By fox80 on 7 Sep 2010 6 5688 14 Jan 2012
New hostel in Cameron Highlands ... By westwood on 3 Aug 2014 0 376 3 Aug 2014
Butterworth to Cameron Highlands bus? ... By sophgibs on 18 Dec 2010 0 3143 18 Dec 2010
Cameron Highlands or Similar in December ... By mattspeak on 15 Dec 2011 0 1088 15 Dec 2011
Nice experience in the Cameron Highlands ... By Mikelpc on 3 Aug 2014 10 1314 15 Aug 2014