Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Trip ideas - Bangkok to Bali

• JayBee

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2010

I have 3 weeks to get from Bangkok to Bali. I'm not bothered about travelling overland from Bangkok, so was thinking of getting a flight out to somewhere to like KL or Singapore (or anywhere) and going from there.

I'm thinking Java, Bali & Lombok should be on the tour. And I'd obviously like to do part of Malaysia. Wouldn't mind including Sabah, although that might be pushing it on the time available. Anyone got any good suggestions of a possible route to take in that time? Don't mind a flight in the journey, but obviously that would cost more and I have no idea how easy last minute flights might be to find.

And tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jay

#1 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 05:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What time of year would you be doing the trip?

#2 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 09:20

• JayBee

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2010

The first 3 weeks in November.

#3 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 15:44

• JayBee

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2010

Having looked into the possible connections, I'm thinking the easiest thing would be to either

- Get a flight from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, do some stuff around there and get a flight from Singapore to Jakarta
    - Or get a flight to Kota Kinabalu (or Brunei), do some stuff around there and get a flight to Jakarta

#4 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 14:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey JayBee - rather than fly into Jakarta, you might want to consider flying into Yogyakarta (east-ish end of Java), then go overland to Bali and across to Lombok. Given your short-ish timeframe, I think east Java will give you the more interesting time.
    [ul][li]Yogyakarta: Min 2 nights (Borobudor, Prambanan, batik craft factories, etc)[/li][li]Mt Bromo: Min 1 nights (volcano)[/li][/ul]
    Then bus to Bali.... by memory, this might take 6-8 hours? One in Bali, you have loads of options, depending on your interests. You can also get to Lembongan (my personal favourite) - a small island off of Bali. From there you can go direct to Lombok (via the Gili Islands, if preferred)

So.... you could consider:
    [ul][li]Bali - 5-6 nights (obviously it's very easy to spend more nights here!)[/li][li]Lembongan - Min 1 night, 2 is better (one hour boat ride from Sanur)[/li][li]Gili Islands - 2-4 nights (you can take a fast (expensive) boat direct from Lembongan, or a slow (much cheaper) boat via Sanur I think.[/li][li]Lombok - 2-5 nights (Senggigi, Kuta, Rinjani - depends on your interests!) [/li][/ul]
    Depending on how you are placed for time, you can cut out Lembongan and/or the Gilis. Obviously you can adjust the number of nights in each place. Generally, I would suggest spending at least 3 nights, but realise that you are pushed for time.

Anyhow... just some ideas to consider....hope it helps :-)

#5 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 15:37

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

(Somtam - we're still getting the 'ul' HTML thing happening with the bullets!)

#6 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 15:38

• JayBee

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2010

Wow, thanks for the excellent information Lizzy, just the sort of info I was looking for. I shall digest and incorporate into the 'plan'

I can't believe that I initially thought 3 weeks would be enough time, but once you start 'planning' where you're actually going, you soon realise just how little time you have in reality. I should probably just skip out Malaysia, but it seems such a shame to not even stop by when I'm soo close.

Cheers
    Jay

#7 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 18:50

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I can't believe that I initially thought 3 weeks would be enough time, but once you start 'planning' where you're actually going, you soon realise just how little time you have in reality. "

Don't worry - we all do it. There's so much to see, and we always want to cram it all in. I am forever suggesting that people cut back on the places they visit, and spend more quality time in each - then next trip I plan, my itinerary has me running around like a headless chicken. After a few days of initial excitement, common sense prevails, and I start looking at what my priorities are, and start getting realistic.

My view is..... I can always go back. I cut out Laos out of my last trip, and am now already starting to plan my next one. Gives me something to do look foward to (and something to do when I don't feel like actually working while at work - thank god for the internet!)

Anyhow... I just spent 2 months in Bali/Lombok/Flores at the end of last year (and Java about 10 years ago)... happy to help out with any questions.

#8 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 03:36

• JayBee

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2010

I've never done anything like this before and must admit, I was worried about spending as much as 3 weeks without really having a clear idea of what I'm up to (got either side a little more organised)

As much as I would like to do Sabah and see the wilderness, I think it'll just add too much travel time to the trip. So I think I'm going to drop off in KL, visit the national park and get a flight from singapore which allows me to stop off in Malacca. Will be quick, but it just seems such as shame to not at least pop into Malaysia. That should give me 15 days or so to do those parts of Indonesia at a hopefully more relaxed pace.

I'd soo like to fit in more of Malaysia, but as you say, you need to sacrifice some places so you can get the most out of the others. And I can always come back and do the other parts at a later date.

Getting quite excited now :D

#9 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 05:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

If you are flying down from Bangkok, I would get a flight to KL, then after doing the national park (not sure where that is without looking it up...) hop a bus to Malacca (2 hours). Then hop another bus from Malacca to back to KL or to Singapore (4 hour +/-) for your flight to Yogya or Bali. It might be quicker to go by bus rather than phaffing around getting to/from airports, etc - and cheaper. Just a thought....

#10 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 05:32

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thinking about it further, if you really want to cover off that sort of ground in Indonesia, my suggestion would be to skip out Malaysia altogether unless you have a particularly strong desire to see the National Park (I haven't been in that area so can't comment on what you would be missing).

You don't have much time, and I really think that you will have wished that you spent more than 2 weeks in Indo. I spent 2 months in a relatively small area, and could have easily kept going. Bali and Lombok are bigger than you (probably) think!

Just some things to think about... (it's very hard, isn't it?!)

#11 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 05:41

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

2 months is more than sufficient for indo isn't it?

#12 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 20:51

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Indonesia is an incredibly large country. Five 'major' islands and 17,000+ islands in total. Transportation and roading in some areas leaves a bit to be desired, and is very slow going.

It really depends on where you want to go. If you focus on Java, Bali, Lombok and the Gili's (which is what most travellers think of as Indonesia), then 2 months is fine. You could easily spend 1-2 months just in Sulawesi. Or just going through Sumatra and Java. Or going through the islands of Nusa Tenggara.

I guess you could also cover off my of the highlights across a wider range of islands by flying and doing brief visits at each destination but I think that diminishes the experience.

#13 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 02:11

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

I agree with busylizzy. You go places and want to cherish memories.

#14 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 23:14

• amberthomas

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

Attractiveness of Hawaii and Bali for me is that you can rent the house and rooms have everything you want / need, plus a kitchen, living room, outdoor space, private pool, in many cases, etc. This would be cheaper than most Part of the hotel.

#15 Posted: 13/12/2010 - 17:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary ideas please, Jakarta to Bali. ... By bujor2001 on 16 Jul 2013 1 1324 3 Aug 2013