Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

2 weeks in Malaysia - itinerary advice please

• slordan

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2009

Hi

I'm going to Malaysia on 18 September for two weeks and I have not really put much thought into what I'm going to do. At the moment I only have my flight to KL booked.

Places I am interested to see are KL, Perhenthian islands maybe Redang island also.

And if I can fit Langkawi - I might go there too. but that might be trying to fit too much in? Am I better to stick to either east or west coast when I only have 2 weeks?

Perhaps instead of going to Langkawi there are more interesting things to see and do on the east coast - not to far from Kuala Terengganu?

Thank you for any advice.

#1 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

If you can afford some domestic flights, it'll make it easier to see both coasts. Otherwise you'll be spending way too much time on buses! Sometimes it's even cheaper than the bus, actually -- www.airasia.com

If you're heading to Langkawi, I'd also suggest checking out Penang (it's pretty much on the way) for some history and great food. If you like nature, Taman Negara in the centre of the country is a must. I haven't been to Terengganu, but I know people go there to see the fireflies.

#2 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 11:01

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

redang is lovely, especially if you like snorkeling or diving, the marine park is really good, we stayed at the divers den, in a beachfront hut, they have cheap packages, its not flashy but we had a great time there, and all the meals are included in the price. If you like food Penang is the place to go and the night markets along Batu Ferranggi are worth a wander, and Kek Lok Si is an amazing place to visit, and Penang Hill has quite a view. Langkawi is very laid back and easy to get around, especially if you hire a car, its quite sleepy over on the beach side and well sign posted, and cars are dirt cheap, we hired (with insurance) for $20 AUD a day. A great thing about Langkawi is it is tax and duty free, so if you like a drink, a smoke or cheap name brand clothes its amazing!! The cable car from the Oriental Village is well worth the trip (it doesn't run if its windy or storms are predicted) and sliding down the seven wells waterfall is heaps of fun (lots and lots of steps to get up) (wear your bathers under your clothes the change rooms are horrid) Theres heaps more touristy stuff to do in Langkawi, aquarium is surprisingly good, jet skis are cheap to hire and the kayaking on Klim river was brilliant, Tanjung Rhu beach is a lovely spot (picture postcard perfect). In K.L. I suggest you stay around Bukit Bingtang or Chinatown so you are close to everything, Sunway Lagoon is a great , cheap waterpark day out, Batu caves are cool, Chinatown is always busy, Central Market is great for handicrafts, K.L. Menara is well worth going up, although you have to pay, unlike Petronas which is free but you have to get there really early to get allocated a ticket and they give you a time to show up which is a pain. I love Malaysia and I hope you have a great time.....

#3 Posted: 4/9/2010 - 10:51

• peter007

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}Welcometo Malaysia. Malaysia,I myself, I choose KL as an example, a nice place, summerall the time, nice food, places to visit, big shopping malls with many brands. Otherstates are nice too, some the places are not yet fully develop, you can findpeaceful villages here. Bad thing is, beware of snatch thefts’. Well, you havedone nice decision. Have a good travel.

#4 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 16:05

• peter007

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010

Welcometo Malaysia. Malaysia,I myself, I choose KL as an example, a nice place, summerall the time, nice food, places to visit, big shopping malls with many brands. Otherstates are nice too, some the places are not yet fully develop, you can findpeaceful villages here. Bad thing is, beware of snatch thefts’. Well, you havedone nice decision. Have a good travel.

#5 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 16:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 3101 3 Feb 2013
Itinerary for 2 weeks in Malaysia... ... By fontbleu on 26 Feb 2012 1 2005 26 Feb 2012
Itinerary Malaysia 4 weeks in April ... By stef83 on 15 Mar 2012 0 1594 15 Mar 2012
Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Laos and Malaysia ... By plew10 on 1 Apr 2012 3 1492 1 Apr 2012
Help Itinerary 4 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Malaysia ... By guybrush on 25 Jan 2012 7 4010 23 Feb 2012
3,5 Weeks Malaysia 22.07. - 19.08, need Tips for Itinerary and general questions ... By nochnbier on 20 Jun 2011 8 4995 14 Jul 2011
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1699 9 Aug 2012
Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jella82 on 3 Jul 2007 3 9706 10 Mar 2011
Itinerary advice-6 weeks in SEA ... By stardar on 30 Nov 2009 0 3373 30 Nov 2009
4 weeks in SEA - destinations & Itinerary advice ... By samwise90 on 19 Oct 2010 1 3876 20 Oct 2010