Port Dickson - a OK beach?

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I am trying to help a friend plan a quick trip to Malaysia for a week. She is joining her husband who is attending a conference in KL. They will have two full days to fill in before the having to be in KL for the conference and she is trying to decide the best thing to do.

Whilst my friend friend is fairly adventurous, her husband is more conservative when it comes to travelling. His idea of camping is staying at the Ritz with room service. Nor is he adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. She is keen to maybe have some nice beachtime somewhere and thinks that he would enjoy that. So.... having said all of that, I have suggested the following:

- Flying direct to Penang or Langkawi and spending their two days doing some beach-time (a bit more of a hassle with flights, and obviously more expensive) , OR

- Going to Melaka for the initial 2 days (easy and cheap to get to from the airport when the arrive), and an interesting town with a good range of hotels and food to keep them both happy.

My friend is now thinking about going to Port Dickson and staying there for the two nights, and do a day trip to Melaka from there. I don't know anything about Port Dickson other than that it's popular with locals for their weekends away. I suspect that it's an OK beach, but probably not as nice as Langkawi.

Is Port Dickson a beach that would be enjoyed by fussy tourists (as opposed to more adventurous backpackers?) Is there a good range of hotels, etc?

Any other suggestions for me to pass on?

#1 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 03:18

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Lizzy!

Not that I have a vote, but the Melaka side trip would get mine. It looks like there is quite a bit to see and do there, plus decent enough nearby beaches and lots of popular seafood restaurants. I also think that in terms of logistics, something nearby like Melaka will be the best choice just because your friends don't want to spend the entire extra two days getting from KL to wherever and back.

Another option I can think of is a two-day package tour up to the Cameron Highlands. I've only been once, many years ago, but I enjoyed it there. I particularly enjoyed stopping off at a tea plantation and buying tea and some other stuff for my Mom.

I imagine that if your friend's husband will be at a conference the entire time in KL, that they might also enjoy seeing some of the city's highlights together that weekend. Then she can pop off and do the more obscure stuff and try the more interesting foods during the week while he is at work.

In any case, sounds like fun. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 04:21

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Skip Port Dickson.

If you want beach time and the resort experience, go for Langkawi. It's also a good choice for local food (seafood, etc). prepared in a way and setting that would be acceptable to a fussy tourist. Plus it's a duty-free island, so lots of cocktails on the beach!

Penang is renowned for its street food, so it would almost be a waste for you to go there! The beaches are OK, but Langkawi is better.

Melaka is also a good choice -- there's actually some buses direct from KLIA to Melaka. The town is pretty, there's nice hotels (Aldy if you want to be near the historical district, Holiday Inn if you want Western style), good shopping, lots of little museums, and the guided boat tour is lovely and educational.

So it depends on what they want -- Melaka for history/local charm or Langkawi for a sterile beach resort experience.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 17:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks so much guys - you've pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Of course, I think they should invite me along to be their personal guide, but thems the breaks, I guess!

Exacto,I was in the Cameron Highlands back in 1990 - I remember it being a really scenic area!

#4 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 01:49

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Melaka is definitely a good place to be. Reputable hotels and variety of things see and tour. On coaches or the for the more adventurous, rickshaws. Itsa also close to KL, just a 2 hour's ride.

And if you need to stay at Port Dickson, there is a new place, its high on the mark. sort of floating Spa, the Avillion. Though the beach around port dickson is nothing to shout about, almost always crowded with locals,But the Avillion is.

http://melialissa.blogspot.com/2008/10/avillion-port-dickson.html

http://www.lushbling.com/luxury-spa-floating-avi-spa-port-dickson-malaysia-1798.htm

regards
    AA

#5 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 15:41

• Animal_lover

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2010

Penang and Langkawi would be better for a longer trip as the beaches are nicer (particularly Langkawi) and there is more interesting stuff to do (particularly Penang) but for 2 days Port Dickson would be enjoyable and is easy to get to. There are a few hotels with their own private beaches which are nice, I stayed in one back in 2004 which was lovely (can't remember what it was called sorry) and a friend raved about Avillion.

However, given the short time frame and the weather at the moment (I don't think you said when they are going) I'd be tempted to stay in KL and do some daytrips. Maybe Batu caves and the fireflies for one day? I really enjoyed the canopy jungle walkway - great views of KL so they might be interested in that.

Hope your friends have fun :00

#6 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 19:31

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Thanks again for the suggestions. They are leaving in a couple of weeks (Oct) - and last I heard yesterday, they still hadn't quite made up their mind. My suggestion: stay for an extra couple of weeks and see it all!! :-)

#7 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 03:31

• dougs077

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

If you do go to Melaka - don't stay at the Aldy - I'm literally just back from there and it is the worst hotel I have stayed in, or should I say the most noisy with very unhelpful staff!!!!! Go for the Hotel Puri - it looked much nicer! Also I would avoid Melaka at the weekends - it is overrun with masses of Chinesses tourists, it is much more pleasant during thte week!!

#8 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 18:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Port Dickson or Pulau Sibu. Where would you go? ... By imranarish on 18 Sep 2012 2 1194 14 Oct 2012
Genting Highlands To Port Dickson How To Travel ? ... By JeniferRobert on 5 Oct 2012 0 917 5 Oct 2012
Port to Port: Tioman to Redang - where to stop? ... By starfish on 2 Aug 2011 1 2811 13 Aug 2011