Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary??

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

Hi again,

not sure what i did wrong but i tried to post this and it got deleted. We will be in kl next week and would really love to visit this place. I have heard conflicting ways to get there by public transport is it possible? if not what is the next cheapest option?

thanks

#1 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 20:29

• Advertisement

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Try asking the hotel you stay in to make arrangements by van. There are a couple of tours agent doing the Kuala gandah sanctuary.

By public transport? Its just may be possible, Take a bus to Karak, then to Lancang. From Lancang, you may need to hire a taxi to take you into the sanctuary.

The sanctuary is run by government agency.Admission is free, though the rangers appreciate if some donations are made. Dont go on sat or sunday, big crowd. Dont want to exhaust the elephants too much do you? If possible avoid the elephant ride if the crowd is too large. Poor elephants, afterall its just a short ride, round the tracks. But do get involve in bathing the elephants,.. they simply love their backs scratch.

Watching the elephants eat and pat them warmly is a pleasant experience already..

have fun

#2 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 00:13

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Heya, I went in November and found it was cheaper to just hire a taxi driver in KL than to go with a tour operator. It wasn't actually cheap, but about 300 ringgit for the day and it included a stop at the Batu Caves, too. Public transit is possible but hard as it doesn't go directly to the center and it's definitely not walking distance from where the bus stops.

#3 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 10:06

• lindistar

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2011

Hi, ~
    We went in a mini van organised by our hotel- 2 years ago now and I cannot remember the price but it was not expensive- it was us and another couple and our malaysian guide, and included lunch. The private taxis are good too, (although unfortunatly we got ripped off by the one who picked us up from the bus station in the pouring rain,) the hotel receptionist called his friend the taxi driver who then took us up to FRIM, waited until we had finished there, then took us on to batu caves and hung out with his friends while we went up and explored. He charged us the same amount or not much more for the whole day that this other guy charged for the very short run from bus station to hotel, so we saved his number in our phone and used him whenever we needed. So if you find the right taxi driver that's your best bet. Its great going in the water with the elephants, feeding them and seeing the babies :)

#4 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 21:09

• lindistar

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2011

Oops just realised this was posted a year ago!!

#5 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 21:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.