Flag of Malaysia

Malaysia forum

4 weeks in peninsular malaysia

• wallchurch

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010

hi im first time traveller flying into singapore then heading to malaysia for roughly four weeks before heading into thailand over land or by boat. i will be travelling on my own in malaysia before meeting friends in thailand who are on a two week holiday. i will be heading into thailand roughly on the 27th or 28th of december and i will be arriving in singapore on a one way ticket on the 1st of december. i will be flying out of bangkock on the 1st of febuary to new zealand on a 12 month working holiday visa. was just wondering is it worth heading up the jungle line and spening some time making my way down the east coast in december or should i just stick to the west coast for four weeks? any replies would be greatly appretiated!

and also would it be worth getting a tourist visa for thailand whilst im in malaysia or shall i just stick to boarder runs as when i am in thailand will be mostly sticking to the islands in the south?

#1 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• CapturingPe-
    nang

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

Hi,

Good to hear you have so much time to spend traveling in Malaysia. With a month, you will get a chance to explore many places on the peninsula (you could also fly to Borneo for a week or two if you want).

In December, the east coast of Malaysia will be rainy and the islands will be closed for the monsoon season. Best to stick to the interior (Taman Negara, Cameron Highlands, Ipoh) and the west coast (Melaka, KL, Pangkor Island, Penang, Langkawi Island).

For more information on Penang, please visit our blog, Capturing Penang, at: edit by admin Please no self promos.

Have a great trip!

Mark & Reese

#2 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 23:44

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Penang 's right -- stick to the West coast unless you don't mind the rain. Even Taman Negara (the big national park in the centre of Malaysia) will be pretty wet, which makes hiking a bit more challenging but also means the park will have fewer tourists.

With 4 weeks to spend in Malaysia you might want to consider flying over to East Malaysia -- then you can experience a national park like Bako (near Kuching) with less rain. And flights to Kuching or Kota Kinabalu are quite cheap out of Kuala Lumpur or even Singapore.

How long will you be spending in Thailand that you're considering getting a visa? You could pick up a 2-month tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Penang or the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. There's also an embassy in Singapore -- http://www.thaiembassy.sg/ Alternatively, there's lots of travel agencies in Phuket and the other popular islands that offer a visa run service to Myanmar or Malaysia.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 10:54

• wallchurch

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010

hi thnaks for gettting back, was going to spend about four or five weeks in thailand, was just wondering if you could tell me how much a tourist visa would be and also how long it will take to sort out? and also do you know roughly how long it takes to get from singapore to melaka by bus because none of the bus companies seem to have an arrival time in melaka. greatly appretiate the information.

#4 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 01:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Route advice; 4 weeks Peninsular Malaysia and 3 weeks East Malaysia ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 31 Jan 2013 2 3069 3 Feb 2013
Roadtrip around Peninsular Malaysia ... By Asyari on 31 Jan 2014 0 1921 31 Jan 2014
Sacrafice Vietnam for Peninsular Malaysia??? ... By IrishStu on 18 Sep 2010 7 2504 30 Oct 2010
Peninsular Malaysia vs Malaysian Borneo permits ... By jmcentee on 6 Jan 2010 0 3862 6 Jan 2010
Nice beaches peninsular Malaysia in first half of Feb ... By ngg18 on 5 Jan 2010 2 2826 6 Jan 2010
East coast of peninsular Malaysia during Ramadan ... By georg066 on 15 Jul 2012 1 1653 19 Jul 2012
Highlights of Singapore and peninsular/Borneo Malaysia in 7 days ... By gogohanneson on 17 Feb 2010 4 3918 21 Feb 2010